Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Larson15

150 VMax or 150 Merc EFI

what would be a better option. A 150 Vmax carbed or a 150 Merc EFI? I can get either of these motors for the same price but am unsure on which one to pick. I know that the merc is being discontinued this year sometime. I can also upgrade to a optimax for 2grand but not sure if its justifiable.

I don't know about the V-Max, but I've heard the EFI is a bit of a gas hog. Might be worth the extra $$ for the Opti due to it being able to save you on gas.

Im a big Yammy fan but I believe the EFI would be a better motor with all things being equal. That Vmax is one nice motor though. I know a few guys with the 150 Vmax and I have never heard anything bad from them. My buddy had a 225 Vmax I think it was and that baby moved out.

If you can swing the additional cost for the Optimax I'd go for it.

If not, it's kind of a tossup... the EFI will get your better Fuel Mileage, but the Carb'd VMAX is a bit more dependable in my opinion, with fuel mileage worse than the EFI.

marine_man

I also say opti if you can swing it. Fuel economy will be much better, but on the downside oil is over $40 a gallon. If you like to do your own winterizing and maintenance then go for the Vmax. (look under the hood and try to change a plug on the opti and you'll get the idea). I really liked my 150 Vmax, and I didn't have a problem with it except a throttle cable that wore out in 8 yrs of ownership. It was ok on fuel as long as you didn't run it at W.O.T., With the hammer down, you can watch the fuel guage drop. Lots of guys in my local bass club had similar experience in reliablility, but some of them had problems with ethanol gas eating up their fuel pumps. I always ran premium non-oxygenated fuel in mine.

Thanks for all the input guys. Now the plans have changed and the boat I want is rigged with a vmax (carbed). I do have the option swapping for the HPDI for 1500 bucks. I can also put a opti or etech on for alot more money because of the extra labor involved is switching the cables, controls, etc. Is the HPDI worth the 1500 over the carbed or should I bite the bullet and spend the 2500 for the opti?

I would go with the HPDI, it's a great motor and a DFI just like the Opti and E-Tec. IMO there's no reason to spend the extra money to rerig for the Merc or Rude .... but I would go HPDI over carbed.

Thanks for all the input guys. Now the plans have changed and the boat I want is rigged with a vmax (carbed). I do have the option swapping for the HPDI for 1500 bucks. I can also put a opti or etech on for alot more money because of the extra labor involved is switching the cables, controls, etc. Is the HPDI worth the 1500 over the carbed or should I bite the bullet and spend the 2500 for the opti?

I'm looking at new rigs right now too. If it was me I would pay the 1500 for HPDI, even if everything was equal I would take the HPDI over the Opti (in full disclosure I've never owned an HPDI).

I have an HPDI now and my last boat had a yammi F-115. The HPDI is as quiet and clean as the four stroke was in all respects. Go for the HPDI, it burns clean, starts right up, and runs great...you won't regret it.