• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

150 VMax or 150 Merc EFI

Larson15

what would be a better option. A 150 Vmax carbed or a 150 Merc EFI? I can get either of these motors for the same price but am unsure on which one to pick. I know that the merc is being discontinued this year sometime. I can also upgrade to a optimax for 2grand but not sure if its justifiable.

Im a big Yammy fan but I believe the EFI would be a better motor with all things being equal. That Vmax is one nice motor though. I know a few guys with the 150 Vmax and I have never heard anything bad from them. My buddy had a 225 Vmax I think it was and that baby moved out.

If you can swing the additional cost for the Optimax I'd go for it.

If not, it's kind of a tossup... the EFI will get your better Fuel Mileage, but the Carb'd VMAX is a bit more dependable in my opinion, with fuel mileage worse than the EFI.

marine_man

I also say opti if you can swing it. Fuel economy will be much better, but on the downside oil is over $40 a gallon. If you like to do your own winterizing and maintenance then go for the Vmax. (look under the hood and try to change a plug on the opti and you'll get the idea). I really liked my 150 Vmax, and I didn't have a problem with it except a throttle cable that wore out in 8 yrs of ownership. It was ok on fuel as long as you didn't run it at W.O.T., With the hammer down, you can watch the fuel guage drop. Lots of guys in my local bass club had similar experience in reliablility, but some of them had problems with ethanol gas eating up their fuel pumps. I always ran premium non-oxygenated fuel in mine.

Thanks for all the input guys. Now the plans have changed and the boat I want is rigged with a vmax (carbed). I do have the option swapping for the HPDI for 1500 bucks. I can also put a opti or etech on for alot more money because of the extra labor involved is switching the cables, controls, etc. Is the HPDI worth the 1500 over the carbed or should I bite the bullet and spend the 2500 for the opti?

Thanks for all the input guys. Now the plans have changed and the boat I want is rigged with a vmax (carbed). I do have the option swapping for the HPDI for 1500 bucks. I can also put a opti or etech on for alot more money because of the extra labor involved is switching the cables, controls, etc. Is the HPDI worth the 1500 over the carbed or should I bite the bullet and spend the 2500 for the opti?

I'm looking at new rigs right now too. If it was me I would pay the 1500 for HPDI, even if everything was equal I would take the HPDI over the Opti (in full disclosure I've never owned an HPDI).