• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.What line for cranking rocks

squeedunk

I have been fishing a few mid-depth rock piles lately (10-15 feet) with DT crankbaits and fireline but have run into problems with breaking off. This is the only time I have had any issues with fireline breaking but I think the rocks knick it up pretty good. Should I be using a mono or Flouro leader? I like the sensitivity I get with the fireline but I am tired of losing $7 lures! What line do people use for cranking?

Fluoro will give you the best abrasion resistance. It has less stretch than mono, so you may get away with spooling up with it, and retaing the sensitivity that you want. You could use it as a leader too. 3 feet or so shoud be enough.

I would stick with some sort of super line if you are specifically cranking rocks. I have been pounding wingdams on pool 2 of the mississippi river with crankbaits my whole life, and I have found nothing better than power pro. Mono and flouro just get eaten up and I lost a lot of big walleyes over the years. About 4 years ago I started throwing 20lb power pro and havent broke a fish off yet. I did try vanish a few years back and it got shredded faster than regular trilene. Plus you can really get your bait down deep with the smaller diameter line.

I use gamma 10# copoly and just check and retie often. If you dont want to use a superline you could buy some stuff by Cortland called toothy critter its tieable leader material. Its pretty slick stuff I recently have been using it for swim jigs but plan on using it on my cranks too.