• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cool wolf pics and shooter deer?

bilbo

young buck but it is crazy that it is in the same area that the wolf is in just 12 minutes later!!! hopefully it makes it another 2 years and it would be a nice deer!!

young buck but it is crazy that it is in the same area that the wolf is in just 12 minutes later!!! hopefully it makes it another 2 years and it would be a nice deer!!

Check out the post I just added a few minutes ago to the Deer forum. I've taken deer within minutes of timber wolves passing by. I continue to maintain that deer do not instinctively cower from wolves and a wolf in the area will not necessarily cause the deer to vacate.

You know, for an animal that is completely native and in relatively low numbers, the wolf sure gets cursed by a lot of hunters. Heaven Forbid a natural predetor takes a few of "your" deer. Maybe you wont have herds of deer walking past your stand to choose from. I think its natures way and hunters are getting awefully spoiled lately. And yes, I am an avid bowhunter myself.

sure you're a bowhunter, but i'm guessing not a farmer. ever lost livestock to a wolf? young cattle and horses are rather easy prey for a wolf. not saying take them out for hunting's sake, but how about ones livelyhood?

sure its all ma natures plan, but she also gave us the materials to make firearms.

No Im not a farmer, and I agree with you about losing precious cattle and horses. If I seen a wolf killing one of my livestock animals, I would have no problem killing it. And I think others should be able to do so also. But I was just saying there are a lot of hunters who immedietely think all wolves should go, thats all.

So how many livestock have been lost to wolf attacks in the past score or even past half-century? I've been living in Osakis for the past 20 years and I have never heard of anyone within 100 miles losing any livestock to wolves, mountain lions, or other predators. I've seen lions within 100 yards of my horses and they were not threatened or harmed. Sounds more like an excuse than a reason.

So how many livestock have been lost to wolf attacks in the past score or even past half-century? I've been living in Osakis for the past 20 years and I have never heard of anyone within 100 miles losing any livestock to wolves, mountain lions, or other predators. I've seen lions within 100 yards of my horses and they were not threatened or harmed. Sounds more like an excuse than a reason.

I would have to disagree...2 groups of domestic geese near Hoffman were destroyed by coyotes. 100% verified by sight and by locating the "denning area' of the buggers. Also one calf taken down...and herd spooked on several occasions. Bones found in "denning area" appeared to be from deer.

haven't been around menahga or pine river area then. lots of wolves sampling calves. i have two buddies that raise a dozen beef, but make their living raising horses for other people. its a shame seeing a half chewed up colt in the pasture.

when i hunt with them for a day or two during muzzleloader season, it is not uncommon to see a wolf or two each day. pretty sure they're not coyotes. i've hunted them before. way too big to be a coyote.

I hate to say it but you are dead wrong here. If you haven't heard of any being killed you must not talk with many farmers. Try north a little ways and talk to some farmers. I think you would be VERY surprised as to what you find out.

I have seen more wolves the past 3 years on the North Shore than I have seen my whole life living up there. Take em off the list and establish a management plan.