Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sixpkjoe6

Where to catch some carp in the Metro area.

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am trying to find some good spots to fish carp in the cities. i used to fish on the st. croix right down by the lift bridge from shore with my grandmother 30 years ago. Now i want to take my 8 year old son out and catch some fighting fish. I have been out of the scene for awhile. not sure what to use for bait (i used to use oatmeal clumped on a hook). also what type of rod set-up would be good. i know this a lot to ask and I probably can determine from all the other posts but just thought I would throw it out there and see what i get back. just looking for some easy access spots in the surrounding 25 mile area. thanks for any help in advance.

i'd take a can of corn down to the mississippi or minnesota rivers, depending on where you are in the cities. any decent size pool or eddy ought to hold some decent carp

Worms work good for them on the rivers, and you will catch a variety of fish

taft lake in richfield. try using crawlers on the bottom. any rod that is used for walleye should be fine in taft, the fish are not that big. but i sometimes use an ultra-light

I've had my best luck on Nokomis, all around 26" football size, with a few over 30". Any river is always a good bet, but the point on the east side on Nokomis has always produced most for me.

Canned corn on a hook is all you need, circle hook if you have it is best.

thanks all for the help, i will try the corn this week and see what happen. hopefully i will have some pictures to post. I was reading some posts and it sounds like they are spawing now. is this the typical time of year they spawn. i don't know much about the patterns of carp.

thanks again to all those you posted. this site is a great tool.

Quote:
I have been out of the scene for awhile. not sure what to use for bait (i used to use oatmeal clumped on a hook).

Oatmeal balls still work well and wouldn't hurt to have along.

See fishuhalik's post in this same forum category. He's got a spot where he's saying there's thousands of carp.

dan from eagan

I was reading some posts and it sounds like they are spawing now. is this the typical time of year they spawn. i don't know much about the patterns of carp.

They're done spawning around here. That usually happens mid to late June in this area. Right now, they are feeding heavily. I've had the best luck on sweetcorn, but oatmeal balls work, too. There are a lot of different baits that will work for carp, but I'd stay away from the packaged "Carp Bait" stuff you see at the store.