• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to catch some carp in the Metro area.

Hi all,

I am trying to find some good spots to fish carp in the cities. i used to fish on the st. croix right down by the lift bridge from shore with my grandmother 30 years ago. Now i want to take my 8 year old son out and catch some fighting fish. I have been out of the scene for awhile. not sure what to use for bait (i used to use oatmeal clumped on a hook). also what type of rod set-up would be good. i know this a lot to ask and I probably can determine from all the other posts but just thought I would throw it out there and see what i get back. just looking for some easy access spots in the surrounding 25 mile area. thanks for any help in advance.

I've had my best luck on Nokomis, all around 26" football size, with a few over 30". Any river is always a good bet, but the point on the east side on Nokomis has always produced most for me.

Canned corn on a hook is all you need, circle hook if you have it is best.

thanks all for the help, i will try the corn this week and see what happen. hopefully i will have some pictures to post. I was reading some posts and it sounds like they are spawing now. is this the typical time of year they spawn. i don't know much about the patterns of carp.

thanks again to all those you posted. this site is a great tool.

I was reading some posts and it sounds like they are spawing now. is this the typical time of year they spawn. i don't know much about the patterns of carp.

They're done spawning around here. That usually happens mid to late June in this area. Right now, they are feeding heavily. I've had the best luck on sweetcorn, but oatmeal balls work, too. There are a lot of different baits that will work for carp, but I'd stay away from the packaged "Carp Bait" stuff you see at the store.