Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DTro

What has changed?

55 posts in this topic

For those of you that have been here in the USA for the past 30 years or more, what has been THE biggest change since then and has it been for the good or bad?

Darren, since there's no category in your poll for the "good" or "bad" question you've asked, I'll add that I chose "environment" and "good."

Well I'm only 24 but I think clearly the MEDIA is the choice. They have changed so much, and as a result have greatly influenced our culture. They influence our knowledge and course of action on all of the other choices in the poll

Darren, since there's no category in your poll for the "good" or "bad" question you've asked, I'll add that I chose "environment" and "good."

I am with Steve on this just because of all the birds of prey that you see now vs when I was a kid.

A vocal minority has been saying for over 100 years that the U.S. is going to he!! in a handbasket. I'm betting that the big majority of people responding to this poll would add the "bad" designation to their choice.

Mark that down as one more thing that hasn't changed much. winkwink

Environment and good.

I never thought as a kid that the day would come that you could catch and eat walleyes out of the St louis River

Enviroment and good....we still have a long ways to go, but we have removed a lot of the chemicals we thought were good, and ended up being not so good.

The media to me has changed the most. The media more access to go deeper into places they never went before and as a result the media is far more influential today than in any time in our history. I would venture to say that indirectly speaking the media is truly our government. The media sways opinion politically, publically, and privately.

edit: Whether good or bad I guess is a matter of opinion and veiwpoint based on how one relates to the media at the time.

I voted other. To me it's not even close. Bill Gates' vision of putting a computer on every desk and in every home changed the US & the world more than anything over the past 30 years. Next would be the advent of the internet which took the PC to a whole nother level.

You know, that's a darn good point, Jim. Whether it is a good or bad change could certainly be debated (on balance, I think it's been good), but there's no doubt the rise of the personal computer and the Internet has fundamentally changed the way we get and pass on information.

Yep, I kind of forgot to add that one. blush

Basically the question, as I envisioned it would be that yesterday you were in 7/16/79 and today you were in 7/17/09 what would be the biggest tangible change in the US.

The PC probably blows the rest out of the water.

Ya, as you said Steve - good or bad, it marked the end of one era (the industrial revolution) and spawned a new one(the information age). Heck in 79 I was still living in Ely, going to Vermilion & working on the garbage truck. Oh how I yearn for those days.

The PC is a big one. Information in general. I can sit at my computer from hundreds of miles away and find out how deep the salmon were on Lake Michigan today and what colors they were hitting. Amazing.

Things seem to change fast these days. Attitudes toward things being one of them. I don't want to start a debate on the subject, just an example: Gay marriage is now legal in Iowa. Maybe it is just me but, I have not heard a whole lot of folks terribly upset (there were a few). Just a few years ago this would have been unthinkable.

The media has gotten much worse recently. They don't seem to pretend not to be unbiased anymore. We are also at fault for getting our news from sources that support our own point of view. Two examples from a week ago from stories that really should have not gotten published: The photo of the President "staring" at the young lady on the steps. (the videotape reveals that this was not the case at all). And the story of why Govenor Palin quit her seat according to her daughters ex-boyfriend. (citing a 19 y.o. with an axe to grind as a credible source is also sloppy journalism)

They also fail on the basics who, what, where, when, why, and how. Many times I read a story and am left with many questions. Sometimes I just think it is laziness. But what may be worse is when information is with held in the name of political correctness.

This thread reminds me of the tv show "Life on Mars." I remember watching that show and thinking the biggest differences revolved around the P.C., personal computer (and other electronic devices,) and P.C., political correctness.

Being only two years past thirty I barely count in this poll, but my vote goes to all the politically correct B.S.

I was just thinking how they would be able to spot enemy infiltrators in the old WWII movies. Questions like, what was Babe Ruth's batting average in 1936? Just about any red-blooded American young man could have told you. That wouldn't work these days. Even though the info is easier to get than ever; how many people could give you a batting average from a couple of years ago?

Young kids respect for anything. Most don't have any.

I agree and it is because things come too dang easy for them now days. Most kids get everything handed to them and never have to work for any of it.

It seems like there is less and less that unites us as a society.

I voted media. Good or bad is up to interpretation.

The changes I've seen in the media pretty much floor me. Honestly, do you really think if CNN was showing live coverage of Utah and Omaha beach, and all the American boys blowing up, Rosie the Riveter back home would be cheering on the war effort???

Maybe it's not just the media but the pass and flow of information in general.

On second thought, maybe it's the way society now demands immediant and RIGHT NOW information and actually EXPECTS to see live coverage from the foxholes in Afghanistan.

Eric, I think you're onto something about the demand for immediate coverage. In order to really tell the public what's going on, with the context needed for people to truly understand things, it takes time, sometimes quite a bit of time.

Today, viewers/readers/browswers don't feel like waiting, and so by and large the media has given into that demand for instant gratification, and usually when that happens they get things wrong a lot more often than they get things right because they've got to get out there on the air/in print/in cyberland before people lose patience and go to another outlet.

Agreed. Being married to a journalist I have a smidge of a clue about the ungodly amount of research she has to do for some of her stories. Granted, things move at a little slower pace where we live so she has a little time, but not much.