• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shallow running crankbaits

iowaperch44

I am going to try a new lake this weekend here in iowa. I have heard reports of walleye bite being real will trolling cranks. I am not a big crank bait fisherman and i have very few of them. This lake has a max depth of six feet. I was wondering what types of crank baits would work at this depth. I have quite a few husky jerk-baits would they work?

In shallow water fishing, us the rap with no lip, the line ties on the nose of the lure, tie the line,about 6 ft.to a bottom bouncer, your rod line to the top of the bouncer, control dept by raising or lowering the bouncer.This works great over sumerged weeds.

Husky jjerks should work but a tighter-wobbling bait like a shallow shad rap is probably a better choice at this time of year and with the water temps we have now. You might want to try a few #5s and #7s, you could also try #5 regular (deep diving) shad raps.

Jointed #7 raps, are a favorite of mine in shallow weeds. Have to watch your speed though, they are not best at higher speeds. Then as stated the Shallow run shads are best #5 or #7

The shallow floating 3 1/2" rattlin rogues are a favorite of mine for this application. The dive 1-2 feet depending on the line used and have enough of a wobble so you can feel if they are running correctly. They are my go to when pulling over shallow weeds. The shallow shad raps get a lot of use as well and clear weeds more easily with a quick snap of the rod when use braid lines.

I agree with Borch. I love the rattlin rogues as well as Bomber Long A's, Renosky's, Jointed raps, shallow Shad Raps and Chalanger Mini Moinnows are also very hot around these parts. If you have a few of all the above you will be set.

Get some hot/ flashy colors, neutral colors and some natural colors.

I agree with all the above, But I would also use a side planer board, to get bait out from behind the boat. Think about it, you troll over the fish, what is the likelyhood fish will still under your boat in 7ft of water. Plus you can use tight wobble shads with a short lead, I have used 15-30ft.