Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iowaperch44

shallow running crankbaits

11 posts in this topic

I am going to try a new lake this weekend here in iowa. I have heard reports of walleye bite being real will trolling cranks. I am not a big crank bait fisherman and i have very few of them. This lake has a max depth of six feet. I was wondering what types of crank baits would work at this depth. I have quite a few husky jerk-baits would they work?

if they arent the deep diving ones they should. i've used the original floaters, or shallower running shad raps. check the boxes before you buy for depth. Or anything in your box with a smaller lip should work.

In shallow water fishing, us the rap with no lip, the line ties on the nose of the lure, tie the line,about 6 ft.to a bottom bouncer, your rod line to the top of the bouncer, control dept by raising or lowering the bouncer.This works great over sumerged weeds.

Husky jjerks should work but a tighter-wobbling bait like a shallow shad rap is probably a better choice at this time of year and with the water temps we have now. You might want to try a few #5s and #7s, you could also try #5 regular (deep diving) shad raps.

Jointed #7 raps, are a favorite of mine in shallow weeds. Have to watch your speed though, they are not best at higher speeds. Then as stated the Shallow run shads are best #5 or #7

The shallow floating 3 1/2" rattlin rogues are a favorite of mine for this application. The dive 1-2 feet depending on the line used and have enough of a wobble so you can feel if they are running correctly. They are my go to when pulling over shallow weeds. The shallow shad raps get a lot of use as well and clear weeds more easily with a quick snap of the rod when use braid lines.

I agree with Borch. I love the rattlin rogues as well as Bomber Long A's, Renosky's, Jointed raps, shallow Shad Raps and Chalanger Mini Moinnows are also very hot around these parts. If you have a few of all the above you will be set.

Get some hot/ flashy colors, neutral colors and some natural colors.

In those shallow type lakes, The Salmo Hornets work very well.

Thats been my go to bait for the past 3 weeks.

Shallow Shap Raps also work well too.

#4 Salmo Hornets....Shad Raps a distant second in that shallow of a lake at this time of year.

I agree with all the above, But I would also use a side planer board, to get bait out from behind the boat. Think about it, you troll over the fish, what is the likelyhood fish will still under your boat in 7ft of water. Plus you can use tight wobble shads with a short lead, I have used 15-30ft.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I have been meaning to try to stick a yote too whenever I was out I hoped one would show up instead of a turkey.
    • should have set up in the grass! Uncle went back for evening set up at a pinch point hen and tom came through to go back to roost but no shot!
    • Beside the fun of fooling a turkey and sticking it witj my bow,this is why I love turkey hunting. Slow smoked with apple on the pellet smoker. 
    • Does anyone have a water driven backup sump pump? They look like the cats meow if you live in town. Or does code even allow them? If they are not allowed what is the best battery backup ones?
    • Got out Saturday morning. Perfect weather. Jakes and hens. Had a new group of 6 hens come in with no tom or jakes.   Did have a yote come out of nowhere right into my dekes. 12 yards. Just as I was drawing on it , it must have scented me and booked. A second yote crossed about 50 yards out. Sticking a yote is on my bucket list.   All in all a great morning.    
    • Good season Wild, onto next year. Should be some changes but I don't expect us to do anything crazy. Need to sign Granlund and Nino and that will use up a lot of our cap space. Can't afford Hanzel and possibly Haula and Vegas will be taking a player off our hands. I'm more interested to see who can sustain or step up their scoring next year or if anyone regresses. Granlund, Coyle, Nino, Zucker, Dumba, Spurgeon and Brodin all had career years, those are good problems to have. They showed us a lot but I think they still have room to grow and that is what we need. We have a nice cast of vets but they are likely too old to lead us to a cup, they would be in more supporting rolls. Hopefully our now seasoned young core and continue to build on their impressive seasons. Always disappointing to lose, even worse when you can't score against your old coach but I like the our team and hopefully we can keep getting better.
    • I'm not the most techy 40yr old out there, so I will try to explain what I'm looking to do and hopefully someone can point me in the direction I need to go. I have a cabin in the Chippawa National Forrest, no phone at the cabin and our cell phones dont work at the cabin either. My teenage son wants to take the wheeler and go riding alone. I worry he's going to get lost or if the wheeler breaks down he can't call my cell for help. When we drive my truck around; the gps in it works all the time.  I know I can put a GPS app on my sons phone so he can track his route in reverse to get back to the cabin. But what if he breaks down?  Does anyone know if there is a gps app that I could "pair" up me and my son's phone so I can see where he is at? kill 2 birds with one stone per say, he can use it to navigate himself on the wheeler and I can see where he's at incase I need to rescue him.  Thanks for the help.
    • Hit the Red River over the weekend for the 2nd time this spring. First outing wasn't great with a handful of smaller cats all under 10lbs. This weekend was a different story as we ended up with 15 cats Friday night. 5 over 10lbs, 2 of which were high teens fish. All caught on cut river bait.  Cats were on the shallow side of the river. Water was high and flowing pretty good. All fish were caught and released. Great night of fishin w no bugs to bother us and very nice weather! Gonna give it another whirl soon in a boat this time. Have a look!!
    • I've never tried my booya poppin pad crashers Yet but are they really bad or just not as good? Just wondering.
  • Our Sponsors