• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The changing demographics of football fandom?

Steve Foss

Hey all:

I'd be very interested if anyone can come up with solid data on numbers/agegroups of football fans changing over time. It's my guess that there are more middle-aged and older football fans per capita, that the younger generations are more solidly into other things than pro football.

This occurred to me after Sledneck and I were exchanging good-natured barbs in the "Favre" thread, and he made the point that most football fans don't remember the Packers '60s successes.

Now, he may darn well be right about that, which is totally cool with me, but it'd be interesting to see how agegroups of fans have changed.

Are more teens, 20somethings and 30somethings into non-football passions than they were years ago? I'll dig into it a bit and see if I can find anything, too.

Probably this thread will just die amid crickets chirping, since it's not a chest-thumping exchange of testosterone driven oneupsmanship, but hey, a guy's gotta try now and then. gringringrin

Considering the NFL is the king of sports in the USA once again I would say the young fanbase is really strong. Look at the crowds during games. You see more 20-40 something fans than any other age group by far.

There are a lot of Twins fans that don't remember the 87 and 91 titles too. How sad? I hear what your saying Steve. For me the 87 and 91 teams are what keep me coming back to the Twinkies when the team is bad. There is a history there to fall back on. They also won those titles when I was in 5th and 9th grade. When I ate, breathed and slept baseball. It's always more fun for your team to win it all as a kid. It cements that bond to your team for life.

As far as the Vikings it's much different. It's like we're tortured by them. It's what Red Sox fans went through and what Cubs fans still have to deal with. You hang in there just so you can say you did when they finally win it all. I think all of those blown chances and bad years will make it all that much sweeter when they do finally get over that hump and win it all. I might even enjoy it more then the Twins titles.

Sorry to hijack this thread a little bit. As far as fan’s ages I think the NFL is as strong as it has ever been with young fans from what I see. The Vikings are still by far the #1 team in the state. Always will be (if they don’t move em)

87 and 91 were nice, but honestly its ancient history. Those titles dont do anything to help the 2009 Twins.

I dont think Id ever bring up world series victories from that long ago in an arguement with someone over whose better than who in baseball.

The Twins own the brewers not because they have world series wins and the brewers dont. Its because the Twins monkey stomped the brewers this season.

Seems like its a common trait with some people.

Your favorite team not doing so well lately? Theres always hope....just dig up the past and you'll feel better. (no offense to the teams that finished behind the vikes in the NFC north last season)

87 and 91 were nice, but honestly its ancient history. Those titles dont do anything to help the 2009 Twins.

I dont think Id ever bring up world series victories from that long ago in an arguement with someone over whose better than who in baseball.

Shhhhhhh, don't tell the packer fans that titles more than ten years ago are ancient history! wink

Your favorite team not doing so well lately? Theres always hope....just dig up the past and you'll feel better. (no offense to the teams that finished behind the vikes in the NFC north last season)

That's exactly what I'm doing on that other thread about Favre.

But of course we digress from the original topic. Do you have anything, Sled, to back up your opinion about the number of young pro football fans there are?

I think the football fanbase is pretty diverse and expands to all age groups.....and it is really popular with alot of people just for the fact of playing Fantasy Football.....FF has to be the most popular of the fantasy sports and that really brings in people that might not care about football but it gets them interested and they start paying attention.

I'm 25 and ive been big into the NFL since i can remember, i grew up a vikes fan because i live in MN, but somewhere around the age of 5th-6th grade i picked up the Pittsburgh Steelers, watched them when i could catch a game, and learned about their glory years. I dont know why this happened, but im still a fan of both!

All i remember of the '91 world series is hopping around to all my parents freind's houses (and once they all came to ours), as each game was at someone elses place. and one time everyone started screaming and us kids thought the parents were nuts. hahaha

and it is really popular with alot of people just for the fact of playing Fantasy Football.....FF has to be the most popular of the fantasy sports and that really brings in people that might not care about football but it gets them interested and they start paying attention.

Ahhh, I hadn't thought of that. Good point!

Fantasy is huge and its really what drives it right now. Most of the international marketing and such they have done hasn't really worked. They like futbol and we like football.

I would think the NFL with it's huge popularity would have the Youngest and largest following of all Pro Sports. But as usual I have no facts or evidence to back this up other than my own personal experience of checking out ALL of the HOT young chicks at the Vikings games I attend! grin