• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnkota Props

archerystud

Question

So it seems as if my trolling motor is losing power and it's not the battery.

So I attempted to get the prop off and make sure there wasn't a bunch of weeds/string wrapped in there. I can unscrew the plastic nut which holds the prop on but I can't get the prop off. I thought I could just slide it off a couple years ago. Shouldn't it just pop off or is there some trick to it?

Not sure of the model number but it is about a 45-50 lb thrust and is about 10 years old.

12 answers to this question

Might have something to do with the age of the unit but every MinnKota prop I've ever had usually slides right off after the nut is removed. Good idea to do a few times a year anyway with all the fishing pressure and lost line.

Cheap compared to a new motor...10-30 bucks....hope something behind the prop, is all it is. I have a 36 and a 40 hp transom mounts. The smaller one was between 10 and 13 bucks, depending on where I bought it. The larger one was around 15 bucks I think. Key thing is knowing motor diameter, or model #. Try LIGHT taps with a hammer to jar it loose.

Take a small piece of wood and hammer it against the base of the prop or around the rim if you can get to it. Not full out arm swings, but give her a good tap. Then twist and repeat, etc... She'll come loose eventually. Happens to me most everytime. It's a pain - I know.

Loosing power you say and not the battery? How are the connections for the power. How's integerity(sp?)of the wire - 10yrs of fishing will abuse anything. Maybe it's a resistor? Just guessing though

I'll try and get the prop off and clean it up and then go from there.

Up until two years ago I fished in some real strong winds and could control the boat. Twice this year I've been out with fully charged batteries and couldn't control the boat. The wind just pushed me off my spot even after I got turned into it.

It still works fine under normal wind conditions when I really don't need as much power.

Do you have new batteries? You kinda ruled them out, but from what you're saying it sounds like old, getting on it's last leg battery. (Although it's been on the charger it maybe so weak/plates damaged that it can't hold a charge very long - happened to me as well)I had to get new Trojans each season until I went with Optima. Going on 2nd year with them and so far so good.

AS for getting the prop off a small piece of 2X4 or something will do with a hammer. That pin on the prop shaft can get bent and makes it stick, plus the weeds that seem like they are melted in all make it stick. When it's clean it does slide easy like it's new, but it's prolly not new is it?

One of my batteries is getting weak. Typically when my charger starts taking too long to charge then it seems to lose life. My Trojan seems fine and charges in a reasonable amount of time.

Even if the batteries are a factor, I need to get that prop off and clean the hub. Just the fact that I can't get it off now tells me something is under there.

Will try the 2x4 trick and see if it works for me. Thanks for the advice.

If you have a 24 volt system then you're as strong as the weakest battery. It'll bring the other one down.

Good luck on the prop - it'll work. I've used a screw driver before, but that messes up the plastic. Wood will too if you hit it hard enough.

12 volt system.

I was working on another project and forget about the prop until I was going to leave. I spent about half an hour and couldn't get the prop off. Will try again later.

Otherwise, I'll wait until after labor day when the boat is out of the water.

I might be off the res here, but ....

If you have SOME water in the lower unit, the motor

armature will be trying to spin in liquid, not air

as Minn-Kota intended. I have fixed many "slow-leakers"

and despite what you think, FRESH water is not all that

conductive and even 24V won't really make it "short-out".

It will usually continue to TRY to turn the shaft.

In the older Minn-Kota lower units there are no

electronic components (except maybe the 99's??) so

shorting via water conductance is not an issue. (This is

why Minn-Kota got away from electronics in the lower units.)

Take the motor and turn it upside-down - and notice if

any water runs out of the head. If so, you have a leak in

the prop seals.

The prop, in my opinion, would not cause a lack of power unless parts of the blade were visibly missing. My money

is on water in the lower unit.