• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Back Deck series, volume 8

What a nasty day. Cold and wet. Spent most of it working on updating my HSOforum, but kept an eye out the patio door with camera at hand. Just some grab shots as the day wore on:

Chestnut sided warbler:

Chestnut-sided.jpg

Chickadee:

bc-chickadee.jpg

Blackburnian warbler:

blackburnian.jpg

Female goldfinch:

female-goldfinch.jpg

Ruby throated hummingbird:

hummingbird.jpg

And red eyed vireo:

red-eyed-vireo.jpg

All with a Canon 50D and 100-400mm

What the heck, I've still yet to see a baybreasted and you've got one out your back deck?!! Great series, love the transitionary plumage on the chestnutsided, you can see the fall colors coming through nicely. Also, great perch to see a ruby throated hummingbird on.

Thanks all! My yard (and deck) is on the border of about three different eco-systems, so I'm fortunate to have a lot of variety. A couple of days ago when I took these it seemed as if there was a larger number of birds than usual. I missed white-throated sparrows, at least two other types of sparrows, nuthatches, purple finches and a couple of birds I couldn't get a handle on. The vireo is the first pic I've gotten of that one, and I'd only gotten a glimpse of a blackburnian earlier this week with Steve and couldn''t believe when this similarly colored bird showed up in the balsams just past my feeder. One of these days I'm going to take some time and put my blind on the deck and sit with my 500 and try to get some higher quality shots.