Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zelmsdawg

Possible record low temps

11 posts in this topic

I heard tomorrow(friday) could have record low temps. Any thoughts or opinions what this weather is going to do to the fishing this weekend? Cold front or feeding frenzy?

I remember about 6 years ago or so there were 3 days in the middle of august where the temps got down in the low 60s and during that stretch I caught my first tigers. Any chance it happens again?

Good luck,

Zelmsdawg

I think it's going to kill the bite, but I suppose it has been fairly consistently cold in my area lately so it might not hurt it too much.

I suppose I don't really care, I'm going to be out there either way.

It's not like we're at a mid summer peak or anything...water temps have already been dropping the last two days, what's a little more?

Not sure about the muskies but we had similar weather June 7th and the pike were going nuts hitting just about anything.

These cool temps shouldn't hurt to much. Yesterday morning was cool. I had 3 hookups and 1 muskie boated.

Brian

didn't move a single fish.

Just got in, I've been out since a little after 8 this morning.

caught 2 decent smallmouth and saw about a 30 pound Buffalo. That was all the action I could stand.

I lied when I said that was all the action I could stand. Went out again around 7, moved 2 fish. One of them upper 40's and came in hot once on a believer and once on a DCG. Pretty sure she was just curious, saw her surface about 4 times in the area and i'm sure she was just gorging on baitfish and had no need to bite my lure. oh well, made me forget about this morning.

Zelms, funny you bring up that weather from some years back and tigers I remember it really well too for the same reason. Really hot stretch followed by a big, big cool down I was on the water the day before and caught two tigers (first muskies, ever) I was stoked. I think this weather is slightly different though it hasnt been overly hot much and the dropping temps are not as abrupt.

With that said my buddy and I just got back in from a short trip this eve and the fish were up and active. I had a big fish follow, a nice fish hooked up for a bit, one fatty mid 30s pike, and my buddy was happy to land his first muskie at 36". All our action came on top with docs and jackpots.

Good to know fish are still moving. Was going to go friday morning buy my partner backed out so went to elsewhere instead. Will be going out tonight with goblue and hopefully can move a fish or 2 on my new baits wink

Good luck,

Zelmsdawg

I got out yesterday around 5 and had a hot fish come up burning a bucktail and one short strike, until the wind died. Then the action quit along with it. I liked the cooler weather reminded me of fall fishing and the lake was quiet!

Quote:
I liked the cooler weather reminded me of fall fishing and the lake was quiet!

................. smile

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Had an 09'. Got rid of it. Also,  you could not keep the front end aligned.  Otherwise a very nice truck.
    • Helps when I comprehend what I read.  I actually just cut the handle off my tongue jack on my Yetti and welded on 3/4 nut too.  My M18 drill with 1,200 in-lbs (2704-20) and it has no problem raising or lowering the tongue.  Biggest thing I noticed was making sure my drill was on the #1 low speed setting.      As far as torque goes and harming your auger.  I think you are totally fine and shouldn't harm anything.  The max amount that these K-Drills and Clam plates are drilling these days with the big drills are 8".  Most sized augers these days have no problem turning a 10" auger which is nearly twice as large of an area than an 8" auger.  Being 2 strokes can normally operate in any orientation without being damaged the only concern I would have would be your gears and any shifting of grease inside operating the auger head on its side under load.    They say Ions will do 10" holes but after I talked to their customer service reps about it, I wouldn't trust an Ion with a 10" more than I do a wet fart.  Just the fact that they don't even sell a 10" package indicates there could possibly be issues with torque and reliability when operating the 10" auger "accessory".  For now I'd just stick to your strike master going up and save your Ion any extra wear and tear.  Maybe even ask Santa for some electric jacks this Christmas
    • As the media begins to draw a pretty picture about the November jobs report, namely that unemployment has dropped to 4.6 percent, its lowest level in nine years, they are unlikely to tell you the other part of the story. The labor force participation rate continues to decline and is stuck at a rate we haven't seen since February 1978, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.  It gets worse. Last month, we lost 4,000 manufacturing jobs, offering more damage to the already 301,000 we've lost since President Obama took office. - Town Hall   See for yourself.. U.S. Dept of Labor / BLS Date Viewer   Whaaa ???   OH, MY....  
    • I wouldn't do that for each one. I was wondering if you couldn't cut a winch down, or maybe just leave it as is, so you could attach a drill to the low speed post and tack weld/rig a socket or something for the other side and just hold it in your hand. It probably won't work because it sounds too easy. 
    • My, such big words!! Yer a talented liddle Smurf, aintcha? We might as well get to work doin' what we were accused of, munchkin!!! Like Carly Simon said, "no one does it better"....  
    • i,ve been falsey accused of inproprieties!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Ken W, I have that book too. Before the internet it was really tough to find info. about sausage making. I never had luck getting a tangy flavor using Fermento. The sausage was very good though.
    • Jacks work very smooth, fresh grease and by hand feels fine for the amount of weight.  I think for the winter we'll just use the gas auger up and the hand drill down.  I don't want to sink another penny into these darn jacks if I can help it, should be swapping out by next year.  I may look into the gear reduction but I feel like trying to throw one of them on each of the jacks could add another 100 that could go toward electric.  leech if you ever stumble on that video post the link so I can see what hes doing different.  Works great on the tongue when it can pivot on the wheels but when lifting the full weight of the house at the back two jack points it just doesnt cut it.
  • Our Sponsors