• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Ice?

GlassEyeangler

1st weekend in Dec. for South Metro/Southern MN. It's been that weekend for a few years now.

2nd this one. Seems to get later and later every year. soon April will be considered late winter and november will look like October of years ago.

I did a little research about the el nino for this year and found out that the NOAA predicts cooler than average temps for this area in the next three months. So that is a good sign. An el nino usually does mean a milder winter with higher precipitation, but this el nino is further out in the Pacific Ocean than usual. Hopefully we will get out by very early Dec. I can't wait.

Last year it was the monday before Turkey day here in NW Iowa. One place I went I was the first guy out there. The next place one guy said he had been there for a week. The water temps dont have far to fall this year so I am guessing even with the el nino December 1. Last time we had el nino(2005?) we had fishing in the coves and marinas for 5 weeks before the main lake froze. Everyone said it was a late winter but I had a great icefishing year. I just know I am ordering maggots and mousees on November 15 regardless. Last year I didnt order bait and I hated having to get bait all the time.

ice cracking, the musty old smell of my portable, grubs/euros, pickeled pike for a snack - BEER, good friends, Vex flashing red bars just off the bottom, sounds of auger motors in the background, my wife texting me to bring home Taco Bell...he he - ah, the ice can't get here soon enough!!

Usually by the second weekend of deer season I have to take the axe out onto the lake to chop through the ice to get water to wash dishes. I wouldn't mind ice by thanksgiving. Once deer season is done, all I have to do is study for school, and what fun is that?