• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam command post

TiNK3R

Does anyone own one of these? I'm looking for pictures of the inside.

I've heard great reviews and ordered one. I am thinking of making a carpet floor of some sort. I am also debating using 2 cots or 1 airbed for the wife and I on overnight stays... I'm just unsure of space inside with the hub.

If anyone has a picture of the inside or experience with these bad boys let me know please, thanks a bunch!

I don't have pictures, but I own the Eskimo version that has almost the exact same design as the Command Post. The room and the protabilty of these are sweet!!

I would not recommend carpet for the floor. With heaters going that stuff will get very wet. I would recommend some sort of rubber matting type solution (3M makes a good product that might work).

Lots of condensation on the inside of these units on cold days with heaters going. May want to bring towels to wipe down the inside during fishing and just prior to take down. If you could figure out a convinient way to rig insulation to the ceiling, this woild reduce this problem quite a bit (at least it did for my Otter Lodge using Reflectix)

I've heard that the clam version can have problems with cracking windows in very cold cnoditions. So be careful when folding it up in cold weather. You don't have this problem with the Eskimo version because the plastic windows are removable.

Good luck!

Thanks NCLaker that's exactly what I was looking for. This 3m product.. is it something I can find off their site?

What kind of heater do you use? I use a big buddy and was told it would keep it tee-shirt warm... is this true?

I've heard a lot about reflectix for portables, I'm not sure how these guys fold up... would that be an option?

Again thanks for the help!

This is an example of a 3M Mat product, they also have entry floor mats that are meant to scrape/collect debrise from your shoes. Not sure where to find them. You could check their HSOforum, or find something similar at local stores

3M Mat

You need a minmum of a Big Buddy to keep it warm. The fan on that helps push the heat around. Should be find on mild days. On really cold days you almost need two heaters to keep that thing warm. Canvas is lighter (by design) than many other style protables so not as efficient at keeping heat in and cold out. We were out in pretty cold temps and had a big buddy & a Sunflower going and we were plenty warm. Sunflower is a nice backup, if your BB is acting up.

Reflectix works great for flip over/clam style shacks. Use it in mine and folds up with the canvas with no problem. For pop-up shacks like the CP, you would probably have to take the insulating layer out before folding it up. Not sure how you would rig something up, you'd have to experiment with this one. Don't recall anyone posting anything here about doing insulation in a pop-up shack.

Great info thanks a bunch. So far the only thing I'm not liking much is having to have 2 heaters (and hence two propane tanks). I think it'll fit my needs perfectly. Thanks a bunch NClaker!!!

I wonder if you could make up some kind of folding floor with hinges in triangle shapes for each dome section that would fold up nice and small? Just fold them out and put the house up on it? wink

That's what I was thinking too. Having something to "preanchor" it to I've heard helps a ton during setup. It would be nice to fashon something that'll fit nicely inside a sled.

I talked to the vender and they are selling/making floors for the smaller hub style clams.. the single "dome" ones, but not the large ones. Very similar to the suitcase style.

I wouldn't know where to begin though lol

If they are making floors for the smaller hubs, just buy two of the floors for the smaller ones models (e.g base camp) and your good to go.

Personally, I like to keep things simple. Good boots, compfy chair, and if I need to keep my feet of the ice I just grab my winter car floor mats. Works great.

As for multiple heaters, only really need if it gets very cold out.

The industrial fatigue mats are generally very expensive, such as that 3-M mat, far more than the average angler will wish to spend. Some of them 3 by 4 mats run $200...each...or even more.

The biggest benefit I find for a floor is they will resist the heater making a swamp in the shack, that big melt down slippery puddle that heaters are well known for. Set the Mr.Buddy on the flooring..the heat reflects up not down...problem solved..no slippery swamp to fall into or drop your gloves into.