• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

large panfish?

doz

We just moved to mn form wi. I would like to bring my wife out fishing for the first time. I am looking for a lake within 2 hours of the cites. I have tried some local lakes and caught quite a few but nothing to big. I am hoping to get her on some big ones to get her exited about fishing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Doz, sorry to say, but you will be hard pressed to actually get information on a lake with large panfish over the internet. The lakes that hold the gems of slabs are generally kept pretty quiet because one time naming a lake can and will ruin it as you will have 25+ boats on the lake chasing them the next day. Word of a hot bite spreads quick, and it doesn't take long to descimate a population. It has happened far too many times and will continue to happen.

That said, a few of the larger lakes in the metro area are your best bets in the metro for bigger panfish. You will have to work for your spots, but you can find some large gills and crappies in the metro. Everyone knows Tonka holds some large panfish, but you have to deal with boater pressure both fishing and pleasure boaters. There are a lot of lakes to choose from, and if you find a small one with big pannies, you better keep it quiet. Just warning ya.

With the fish being in a midsummer pattern right now, you should look to deep weed lines and fish slow and patiently. You can find fish shallow still, but most will be smaller fish. If you want to try something really fun, drop shot small plastics with small hooks along the outside weedlines and you are bound to pick up some panfish. Try to concentrate on inside turns and irregularities and you will be rewarded. Dropshotting for panfish is often overlooked but it can be a ton of fun.