Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carp-fisher

Flathead attractor?

19 posts in this topic

A recent In Fisherman article had an interesting tidbit on a flathead study done in the Minnesota River. The DNR put out trotlines on sandflats a substantial distance away from any holes or cover. The lines would set all night and would often be completely full of flatties in the morning. The biologists theorized that a lone cat got hooked up and the rest of the fish were attracted by the loner struggling on the line. I've thought about going out early some evening and catching several big carp and putting them out on a long stringer, and then fishing for flatties in the area. The carp will go in my garden, so it won't be baiting. Anyone ever try anything like this?

How did that lone cat get hooked in the first place? I think the habits of flatheads midsummer arent a well-known pattern; sorta like weed-walleyes were years ago. Not many fish the "barren" sand flats because theres just too much water to cover. Who knows maybe years from now people will anchor upstream off sand flats and burn high vibration lures across these flats @ night. You always here of big cats caught from walleye guys on the minnesota trolling cranks.

Could have something to do with a specific catfish pheromone or chemical they disperse when they're eating or struggling or what have you.

Possible it could work with carp though if it has anything to do with the fish sensing multiple other fish struggling.

A recent In Fisherman article had an interesting tidbit on a flathead study done in the Minnesota River. The DNR put out trotlines on sandflats a substantial distance away from any holes or cover. The lines would set all night and would often be completely full of flatties in the morning. The biologists theorized that a lone cat got hooked up and the rest of the fish were attracted by the loner struggling on the line. I've thought about going out early some evening and catching several big carp and putting them out on a long stringer, and then fishing for flatties in the area. The carp will go in my garden, so it won't be baiting. Anyone ever try anything like this?

i had an experience like this with bowfin this spring. there were bowfisherman all over, and i was catching bowfin and putting them on the stringer. i left the stringer of 4 lay there as i went upstream for a bit. i got back and there were 8 bowfin there! 4 bowfin had come and sat with the bowfin on the stringer. they kept spooking whenever i got close. but they always came back. pretty cool

I like your idea Carp. It would make for quite a scene though if a huge flathead passed up your offering and went for the carp attractant smile.

Is it a surprise to find mudeyes in shallow water at night in the summer? Maybe the attractor could be hunger.

Is it a surprise to find mudeyes in shallow water at night in the summer? Maybe the attractor could be hunger.

Now theres a novel thought wink

Maybe the attractor could be hunger.

laugh That's what I was thinking too

Its really no secret struggling fish put off the ju-ju and the highly developed lateral line of the catfish keys in on it.

That's kinda why livelier bait tends to be the best bait.

I really started to pay more attention the the shallows at night you sit and listen to the bait fish when they are scooled up and they are kind of skipping thru the water and then it happens a explosion in the water as preator meets prey.

After the spawn I tend to key in on the shallows a bit more.

cats plain and simple are eating machines and its more than just eating its survival in the river.

Yes I think that the sounds or what have you of struggling fish would be an attractor. if you think about it big fish need to eat alot and chaseing bait fish will expend alot of energy so if there is an easier meal as struggling/wounded fish they dont need to expend as much energy but still are able to eat.

Well played!

I'd think they would prefer to feed in open shallow water where you'd think it would be easier to catch prey. But it is probably easier catching them (flatheads) coming out of their bedroom and when they are going back to bed, rather than trying to pick what restaurant they are going to eat at. The nice thing about a trot line is you can create a nice road block with t-bones spread across it every so many yards that they have to pass through.

I don't think it's any surprise that Flatheads come in to the shallower areas at night to chase bait fish around. I have caught some big fish in shallow, sandy flats and it's a pretty out there guess to assume they are being attracted only by other struggling fish.

I'm gunna have to vote hunger over curiosity.

thats were I catch most of the flats, but there is always deep water near by...