• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about selling my XD handgun

I want to sell my Springfield XD 9mm and have a gentleman from MN interested in buying it from me. I live in WI. This would be a face to face sale, paid with cash. He is wondering if theres any paperwork we need to do. I don't believe so, but I wanted to check on here to see if anyone had any advice for me to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal. Thanks much for any help!

Brenda

Selling handguns is a lot different than selling long guns. Being as you are selling it across state lines, and it is (likely) registered in your name, I would get a FFL involved.

If the guy you are selling it to bawks at the FFL dealer and paperwork, then you don't want to sell it to 'em.

What they said plus don't forget to right a bill of sale and also ask to see if he has a current permit to purchase in Minnesota. I Know alot of people that love to buy guns with no paper trail their not doing anything bad with them they just don't want big brother to know what they have and nothing is wrong with that.

I myself like to purchase firearms from private parties with no rcord of a sale to the goverment.

If you are concern about the person purchasing it, let a gun dealer make the sale. I persoanlly have sold nemerous weapons to private parties. I just have them sign a bill of sale so my butt is covered.

Sounds to me like you already know this person.

A bill of sale is a good idea. Its just a record to show the date and time of purchase so to speak in case the Feds come tracking you down if ins the weapon is used in a crime.. No biggie.. just a useful tool to show that you no longer own it.

I wouldnt sell to an out right stranger.. just cuz Id be afraid that I was providing a gun to someone whom I shouldnt be.. and yes.. THAT IS ILLEGAL

If you use an FFL, it will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyers state and a 4473 and NICS backrgoud check would have to be conducted by the recieving FFL holder. This is not a bad idea when selling a handgun to someone you may not know.

I would suggest you mail yourself a letter with the following data. DO NOT open the letter. Once the letter goes through the postal service it is considered a dated document. Date of sale, copy of DL (if they are ok with it) note the gun and serial number, both parties should sign. Hope this helps you.

I think I will do a bill of sale with this guy. I don't know him, he said he has a permit to carry/purchase. Thank you all for the advice. Just trying to get some cash but wanted to make sure I'm doing things right. Thanks again.