• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can-am?

fishingmedic

Hoping to get some feed back from fellow members that have owned a few different brands of machines including a Can-am and what your thoughts are between the Can-am and other makes? After doing some research they have started to make me think about getting one. ATV dot net has alot pictures of them and those guys do some real riding in the snow, but I would like to hear other thoughts on them.

Thanks in advance

I've owned several different machines including a Can-Am (Bombardier) DS650.

I'm guessing you're looking at a utility machine. When it comes to raw horsepower numbers, it's tough to beat a Can Am. The DS that I had was about as bullet proof of a machine as you'll find with tons of torque and hp.

As far as the Outlanders are concerned, there were some earlier models that did have an overheat issue, but that may have been fixed on the newer models.

Another concern I would have if you're looking at riding on a rocky trails is the frame. There's countless posts on the web about the frame bending too easily. This can be minimized by adding a good heavy duty aftermarket skid plate.

The 4x4 system is IMO one of the better systems out there. Where it falls behind is the lack of a locking front diff like the Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Yamaha machines.

Right now I can honestly say that I don't know which ute machine I would buy because they all offer a great package. I may be echoing what's been said many times over, but the best machine for you is the one that will do what you want it to the best. If you have your mind set on a Can Am, be prepared to spend more $$$ than any other brand other than Honda.

I like my outlander, very reliable only oil changes and one battery this year but it's an 04. I'd describe it as sporty in the way that it rides compared to other utilities I've ridden.

A correction to what LEP7MM said, it does have locking front diff however can-am engages there's automatically. Kawi uses a gradual leaver and I think yamaha and suzuki use a on off button.

I personally don't like the others because it's a BEAR to turn with it on, but for mudding full manual control is the best though.

No correction needed Pulsar. The Can Am front differential isn't considered a true locker. The visco-lock system they incorporate only engages when traction is lost and kicks back out when it's not needed, thus it's not a true "locked" front diff.

There have been concerns by many owners of the machines, but nothing serious or quality related. Can Am has made improvements to improve the engagement of the front diff.

visco-loc works just fine, some had some issues engaging is all.

I have an outlander 800xt one issue, brittle camo plastic, but this has been fixed in 08. I did put skids on, but if you ride in rough terrain then any machine really should have them installed. they are a bit more in cost but it's worth it to me anyhow. Had a polaris sportsman, wow, was like going from a go cart to a lamborgini. (I know, diff class, but diff between night and day).

plenty of power, and if the outlander isn't quick enough for you then go with the renegade.

as for overheating that was in 06,

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of nice machines, kingquad, grizzly, brute force. but I have to say polaris is not in the hunt. maybe some day they will but they are about 10th on my list of machines.

if you are going to buy a fourwheeler spend the extra money and get a can am i made the mistake to go cheaper and get a suzuki i like the suzuki but i love the can am

it rides better it has more power and it handles better

The visco lok system is more of an all wheel drive of sorts than a true locking differential.

Arctic Cat also has a fully locking from diff. There are so many different models and choices to make, I couldnt recommend a machine to anyone without knowing what they were looking to use it for. Is two-up riding important? do you want to use it for work, make food plots, plow driveway, etc? Trail ride?

How much money you looking to spend? As others have said the Can Ams are pricier model for model than the rest. If you are looking for two-up machines, there are really only 3 companies to choose from. AC, Polaris and Can Am. No one else even offers anything like that and putting a two-up seat on a solo machine is NOT safe contrary what others will tell you the machine is not designed for that, short wheelbase, too soft of spring rates, etc.

I have an Arctic Cat 650 H1 as well as my dad. I have 700 miles on it, had it since Christmas last year and the only thing I have done is change oil and have valves adjusted.

My dad has the same machine but he has had it since November 2007 and he has 25,000 miles on his. I think that longevity speaks for itself.

They all make decent machines, but really you have to figure out what you are going to be using it for and then others can help you with some suggestions.

BTW, dont go by what the magazines say, ride them yourself and decide. I wouldnt ever let someone tell me what to buy without riding it first. It's not their money.

My dad has the same machine but he has had it since November 2007 and he has 25,000 miles on his. I think that longevity speaks for itself.

Wow! Thats well over a 1000 miles a month average...or 250 a weekend!

I wanna live where he does, be retired or have the job he has to get that kind of saddle time. smile

I have a 2005 outlander max 400, Issues so far have been limited to a bad voltage regulator which was a common issue up to 2006. Cost 300 bucks to replace with a updated regulator and new pigtail. currently have a clicking when underway at slow speeds and suspect a CV joint in the rear but have not been able to fully localize the problem. It has not affected it's driving at all and it disappears when you go to cruising speed. Gonna have to put it up on jackstands and run it to find the problem. Plus side, absolutely all the power I can use. Tows a half ton of sand with no problems, Have not been able to stick it and the kids have tried. Starts in any weather. Wife loves the second seat. Frankly, which ATV you buy is up to personal needs and choices. All the major manufacturers have good units.

I bet he ment 2,500 miles, or he's s t r e t c h i n g the truth!
Nope, 25,000 (tweny-five thousand) miles (not kilometers).

No truth to stretch.

The only thing is the odometer does not have the capability to accomodate 20,000 so when it rolled over from 19,999.9 to 20,000 it went back to 0.0

So it looks like he has 5,000 miles on it right now according to the odometer. He has pictures of the odometer when it hit 19,999.9 because he was afraid that might happen.

He rides every day and I rode with him one day and put on 180 miles in one day. He has also kept track of every service so there is a detailed log of every thing done with it since the day he bought it.

Man, he must like to ride! That's a CRAZY amount of miles in a short time!

Yeah, he is pretty proud of it. He drives around and everyone recognizes him and they all ask him how many miles he has on now. He even went to Thief River and showed some of the engineers and they couldnt believe how nice his machine looked considering the miles.

That is CRAZY MILES, Has he ever had the Clutches worked on?

He had to replace one belt, but that was because a seal went out and seeped a little oil inside the case and caused the belt to slip and kinda tore it up a little bit.

Otherwise he bought a new set of rollers and that's it for clutch work. He is meticulous though. He washes it after every ride, and cleans clutches every 1000 miles and changes oil every 1000 miles. Cheap insurance.

He puts on more miles on his ATV than his truck. It is worked pretty hard too with pulling out stumps, plowing in the winter for about 20 people. The side benefit is that it occupies him so it keeps him out of my mom's hair. LOL