• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Report with pics for Lac Seul 6/26 - 7/3

I said I would post a report so here ya go even though it is about a week and a half late.

I stayed at Scout Lake Resort with 5 other guys from June 27th and left early the morning of July 4th. It was cold, rainy and windy Saturday thru Tuesday. Wednesday morning we had just a light drizzle and we thought we saw the sun thru the clouds later in the afternoon. Thursday and Friday were sunny and nice. The bite during the week was from decent to great and we caught fish at all different depths, near drop offs, around islands and in the weeds in the shallows. We used jigs tipped with minnows, leeches and plastics and all different colors. Some days one color would work better than another or leeches would out fish minnows but during the course of a day that could change. We also used shad raps both casting into the shore and trolling with good success. Largest walleye was 27 ¾”, and a good number in the 20 to 25” range. The biggest pike we measured was 36” and seemed to catch lots that were in the 3 to 5 lb range. We didn’t measure or weigh most of the pike because we wanted to keep their slime out of the boat.

Saturday afternoon because of the weather we stayed near the resort and fished Scout lake and found some walleyes and pike biting just up from the resort in 4 to 13 feet of water. Not the greatest but good action for the conditions and a good way to ease into the next week of fishing.

Sunday we headed out thru Scout and on to Lac Seul for the south bay area where we ran into rain and wind but found some eyes and pike. We had intended to stay out all day but because of the lousy weather conditions we decided to head in for a late lunch, dry off and try fishing near the resort for late afternoon early evening. This proved to be a good plan as we found hungry walleyes across the lake from the resort. I remember thinking what a good time I was having as we fished in a down pour that would normally keep me off the lake. I guess when you are catching nice size walleyes at a fairly good rate you’ll fish in cold rainy weather. A great fish dinner that night made it all worth it.

Monday morning we were greeted by rain and wind again and we also found may flies in the boat. The may flies would be hatching the rest of the week but luckily for us they didn’t seem to affect the fishing that much. I think this was the day we headed out to a reef that came up to 6 feet and dropped off to 30. The ride out was cold and wet. I was in the boat without a wind shield and remember thinking that with the wind and waves it was like having someone throwing buckets of water at me. I was sure glad that I had made an investment in some nice gortex rain gear before we left. We managed to catch a few walleyes around the reef but because of the wind we had a hard time controlling the boat. We headed into a more sheltered area and found walleyes off the shore in 10 – 16 feet of water.

Tuesday less rain and not as windy. Can’t remember exactly where we went but I think this was the first day we fished near a waterfalls. Used mostly jigs with leeches and minnows and trolled in towards the falls and back out again. Picked up some real nice walleyes in there. The pike seemed to be right in there with the walleyes but more concentrated closer to the falls.

The rest of the week went about the same except the weather got nicer as the week went on. We hit the reef again with a lot better success than the first time and went back to the falls and did real well there. The group I was with brought along fly rods and they gave me a quick lesson one night and we went out from the resort fishing the weed beds for northern and I caught two for my first fish ever on a fly rod. I will definitely have to try that again!

Lac Seul is quite an awesome lake and we only fished a small area of it. I would have say my first trip to Lac Seul was a successful one and I will be back for more.

Here are some pics that were taken.

lacsuel09m_w_sun.jpg

LacSeulCanada-Jul2phil_sun_eye.jpg

lacsuel09G_W.jpg

lacsuel09s_w_sun.jpg

LacSeulCanada-Jul2brady_pike.jpg

lacsuel09M_W.jpg