• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stringer suit: heat warnings on equipment

IFallsRon

A federal judge in Ohio has scheduled a Nov. 2 trial in a lawsuit brought by the widow of Minnesota Vikings offensive lineman Korey Stringer.

Kelci Stringer is suing football helmets and shoulder-pads maker Riddell Inc. over her husband’s 2001 heatstroke death at training camp. U.S. District Judge John Holschuh set the trial date Monday in Columbus.

Three days earlier, Holschuh ruled that Riddell gear should include heat warnings. But he dismissed Kelci Stringer’s claim that there were design problems.

The trial will determine whether Chicago-based Riddell bears any responsibility for Korey Stringer’s death.

The company contends a warning notice would not have kept Stringer from practicing.

His widow settled earlier with the NFL, which pledged to support heat-illness prevention.

Wow, don't make a mockery of Korey please. You would have to be an [PoorWordUsage] if you don't think helmets and pads will make you warmer.

I would say it's fine if you are trying to protect other players but this is all about money.

This reminds me of my KC days. Derrick Thomases family sued a ton of people over his death. They tried suing GM over the rollver he was involved in, stating the roof on his Suburban was inadequate. Fact of the matter is, it was a blizzard out, roads were horribly icy, and he was speeding and not wearing his seat belt. It came out after his death he had 7 babies around town and wasn't married to any of the moms. I am sure his family wanted some dough out of deal.

Sounds like Stringers widow is after some mony,too. This country is a sue happy place, and some of these lawsuits shouldn't even be allowed in a courtroom.

You're both making assumptions that the widow is just "in it for the money." Your assumptions appear to carry the weight of insight because they are backed up by the fact that our American society in many ways is litigation-happy.

But let's be clear that they are assumptions. Do you know the facts of the case? Do you personally know the widow, what type of person she is, what might motivate her? I suspect not, and you can't rely on media reports for actual truth.

I'm not saying she isn't in it for the money. For all I know, she is. Or isn't. I don't know her. I'm just saying you both are going off typical knee-jerk assumptions and generalizations, and that type of thinking lowers the bar for everyone. Grown-ups should know better.

Yeah, there, I do feel better. smilesmile

He has been dead for almost 8 years.... What does this poor woman do, just sit around and think of who else she can sue over his death?

He was gigantic, came into camp over weight, did not drink enough water, and was taking a supliment to shead water weight. On top of that it was humid as H*!! and was 100 degrees. They all added up to an unfortunate event, his death.

There are warnings on cigaretes, people still smoke. There are warnings on beer and booze, people still drink. There are LAWS against speeding and you have to wear your seatbelt, people still do/dont do those things.

Bottom line is Korey Stinger would have practiced with or without a warning sticker on his pads or his helmet. The man is dead, let him be. All these lawsuits are doing are ruining his legacy.

im sorry this is pathetic. just pathetic. im sure there are plenty of other people on here that play football or have and when i put the equipment i know for darn sure that it is going to make me warmer. it is downright common sense. and like earlier stated if there was a warning on it he would have practiced.

i dont think he would have seen the label and been like GOLLY GEE, it says im going to get warm, i beter not practice.

RIP korey

I think she should sue the owners of the football stadium that he was practicing in for not having a properly cooled environment for him to play in, yeah, that's the ticket, sue, and then I say she sues the United States for not doing enough to prevent global warming which obviously contributed to his death with warm temperatures, yeah, that's the ticket, sue, sue, sue!!!

This country is going down fast gentlemen! We need torte reform in the worst kind of way and I would be all for "loser pays" court cases, then you would seperate the wheat from the chaff.

I agree too, it has been 7+ years, it was unfortunate but to bring another suit forward seems a bit odd. The country is sue happy, and while this may not be all part of his widow as Denny Green would say, its the system. Some lawyer probably contacted her to say hey you never sued the equipment provider so lets go after them too.

I think all winter jackets should have a warning, that way no one would put one on for a mid July afternoon run.

I saw just a couple days ago that the WI supreme court dismissed a lawsuit brought by some dude that backed over his toddler's feet with a lawnmower. He was suing John Deere.

You're both making assumptions that the widow is just "in it for the money." Your assumptions appear to carry the weight of insight because they are backed up by the fact that our American society in many ways is litigation-happy.

But let's be clear that they are assumptions. Do you know the facts of the case? Do you personally know the widow, what type of person she is, what might motivate her? I suspect not, and you can't rely on media reports for actual truth.

I'm not saying she isn't in it for the money. For all I know, she is. Or isn't. I don't know her. I'm just saying you both are going off typical knee-jerk assumptions and generalizations, and that type of thinking lowers the bar for everyone. Grown-ups should know better.

Yeah, there, I do feel better. smilesmile

Thaye aren't suing for fun, or to make a point, they are suing for millions of dollars. Almost 9/10ths of all products we use have warning labels on them, and they are because of lawsuits. Sorry, but I think 9/10ths of all lawsuits are frivolous and brought on by money grubbing morons. Seriously, suing a car maker because your son was driving too fast and not wearing a seat belt on icey roads? why was that GMs fault? Next lawsuit in the Stringer case will be the jersey maker, because it as well didn't let out heat- gimme a break.

Didn't she already get a ton of money from the Vikings organization after his death? This hood rat needs to learn how to manage money, because it's only been 5-8 years since she got paid and she already needs more millions. WE ALL KNOW SHE ISN'T DOING THIS TO PROTECT OTHER PLAYERS.

I doubt this lawsuit will get very far in this case. There were proven to be diuretics or weight loss supplements in his body (autopsy) at the time which contributed as much to his death as anything. In any case, it was a really sad situation for his family and Vikings fans in general.

My wife (RN) was part of the team that worked at getting his body temperature down that morning...she said it was one of the saddest outcomes she's ever seen in the time she's been an RN.

Didn't she already get a ton of money from the Vikings organization after his death? This hood rat needs to learn how to manage money, because it's only been 5-8 years since she got paid and she already needs more millions. WE ALL KNOW SHE ISN'T DOING THIS TO PROTECT OTHER PLAYERS.

My memory is not the greatest, but I am pretty sure she got some good money. I believe his contract was paid out to her, maybe some death benefit money, on top of the suit she won against NFL/Vikes (I think that's who she sued).

Can you imagine all the warning labels there would need to be on everything from coats to cars and hats if they won this lawsuit? Ridiculous. Bottom line is this. If the warning label was there would it have stopped him from putting on the gear that day? No. This was a tragic situation for his family and friends, I don't want to diminish that, but come on. Accidents happen. There isn't ALWAYS someone else to blame.

Can you imagine all the warning labels there would need to be on everything from coats to cars and hats if they won this lawsuit? Ridiculous. Bottom line is this. If the warning label was there would it have stopped him from putting on the gear that day? No. This was a tragic situation for his family and friends, I don't want to diminish that, but come on. Accidents happen. There isn't ALWAYS someone else to blame.

The warning labels are already ridiculous. Look at the instruction manual for anything, whether it is a chain saw, automotive manual, or the printer you hook up to your computer. The first 60% of it is warning about how if you don’t do this, or do that you can be injured or killed.

Part of the problem is the ambulance chasers who promise “No fee unless you win”

It reminds me of the old joke, What do you call 10,000 attorney’s at the bottom of the ocean….. A good start!

You know now that you mention it I was going to take a bath with my printer the other night but I read the manual and I told me I had to unglug it first. Good thing I did or my wife would have been a millionair!!!!