• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

8 inch Kobalt bolt cutter. HAS ANYONE USED THESE?

Knipex 7102200 8-Inch Lever Action Mini-Bolt Cutter - Comfort Grip

Straight off the HSOforum.

A bolt cutter is a bolt cutter, a lever action cutter is a lever action cutter. 10 inch hand cutter would be better in the kobalt but its the same thing.

If you fish muskie alot, all the time, catch alot of fish....

Knipex would be a good investment. Obviously Knipex is of higher quality.

But if you only boat a dozen fish or so every year and only cut 5-6 hooks a season, in my oppinion this lever action bolt cutter will do the job for many years.

well why'd you come in and ask if you're already set on buying it then?

if it's right for your application then by all means use it, the people on here have a lot of knowledge and experience and it seems like those that have tried the alternative very much prefer the Knipex models, that's all.

I got cha...

I know what you are saying. I want a set knipex cutters too.

I was just thinking that its kind of like buying a set of bran new $1500 Nike Red golf clubs when you go golfing 1 time every 2 weeks and are a 20 handycapper.

I have a bunch of cheap bolt cutters laying around. They were only good to cut about 4-5 trebles each and that was it. They didn't even last me a year. If you only catch 12 fish a year, a cheap bolt cutters MIGHT last you a year. I have gone on streaks myself where I have cut hooks on 5 fish in a row to get the best release possible.

If you have the unfortunate incident where you get hooked while a muskie is still on, you will wish you had bought a knipex. With a knipex you can cut hooks no problem with one hand. The cheap cutters practically require 2 hands and some strength.

If they're that cheap and you think they'll be that good, just buy two so when the first one fails you have a backup...

Having taken a few hooks here and there, being able to cut a 7/0 shank with 1 hand is key, IMO.

There is a HUGE difference between the cheap ones and the knipex, my first pait I ever got was a great neck they broke very easily and left me hanging so I was dumb and brought them back (no warranty) and got another 10.00 pair, they are also junk.

So I picked up the knipex about 7-8 years ago and still have the same pair, Ive cut allot of hooks with them and trust me nothing is more frustrating than ineffective bolt cutters.

I too only cut 5-7 fish a year but I like it when the tool works as well.

But buy what you can afford a junk pair is better than non at all for sure.

When I first started fishing muskies there was no way I was going to spend all that money to get a Knipex. So I got a cheap pair for $10+ cutters. The first hooks I cut went fine. Then the second time I had a fish in the net with the hooks caught up in the net at an odd angle. It was then that I discovered that you have to be at just the right angle to cut hooks with these things or you have to use everything you have to cut an average size musky hook. I was stubborn and thought it must just be a fluke.

Long story short, with great hesitation I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a Knipex. After using them once I wondered why I would have ever bought one of the cheap ones. That was close to 15 years ago and that same pair of Knipex is still doing the job. Worth every penny. If anyone is hesitant to buy a Knipex cutter, ask yourself one question. If I'm ever unfortunate enough to be attached to green fish by a musky bait, what kind of tool do I want in the boat to separate me from that situation?

Aaron

Guys, I gotta ask. Looking up Knipex online, I am finding some for about $50 and didn't look for sales, or some for like $140 for a heavyduty style, longer handles? Are you talking the cheaper or more expensive ones? To me, the heavy duty ones look like they could cut anything but the lower priced ones don't look much better than the ordinary cheap ones?

Just go to Muskie-Tackler and they have knipex for under 50 dollars. I got the spring level action one this year and what a difference it makes. Last year used a cheap pair and ended up getting a hook in the hand with a large northern flipping out on the other end of the hook, wasn't good. It makes the Catch and release so much easier for you and the fish. The one thing I did with my knipex so I wouldn't lose them was drill hole in the handle and put a lanyard on them.

Buy both. Vacuum seal the cheap pair and leave in your boat for a spare. Buy the Knipex. I also carry an 18" pair of bolt cutters that I use. I like having some distance between my hand and the fish as my eye sight and reflexes aren't what they use to be. frown