• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MinnKota Powerdrive upgrade

MuskyRookie

Question

Could anyone give an opinion on whether or not an upgrade from a 40 lb Powerdrive Minnkota to a 55 lb Powerdrive would make much of a difference?

I would rather not get into the 24V motors and I believe the 55 lb. is the highest the 12V go, coerect?

6 answers to this question

You are correct, 55 lbs is the biggest 12 volt PowerDrive motor you can get.

I think a 55 would make a difference over a 40, it's 38% more power. It really depends on how big your boat is though, and how you fish and use your bowmount motor.

You can check out the Powerdrive motors and our pricing at Bowmount Motors At Pro Fishing Supply

If you go from a 40 to 55 you will notice the difference a lot. I did anyway. If you have a 16' or less boat you will be fine most of the time. Like said though go big or go home.

When I went from a 12 volt 55 to a 24 volt 65 I noticed a bit difference of course in speed but more in battery life.

You would gain power, longevity of use, extend the overall battery life, and quicker recovery when mated to (2) 12V 29 series or 31 class deep cycle batteries resulting in much greater reserve capacity.

I would also recommend a 20 amp 2 bank smart inboard charging system, such as a MinnKota MK-220 to maintain it.

The original poster wasn't specific about what kind of a "difference" he is looking for. As pointed out by most, if you are looking for a power difference you will probably get it. However, if battery life is the biggest difference you are looking for then you could just add a second trolling motor battery in series.