• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gulp Alive

I use it most of the time and have ok luck. I only get to fish and hour or two here and there so there is no point in me buying live bait to only use a couple minows or leaches

Exactly - I started using it last year in Canada and it seemed to catch as much or more fish then the live bait and the fish size was larger. Have used it a lot on Pool 2 also with good results. Eliminates a lot of the sheephead and catfish bites on the river. I use it as much for the ease in use then anything else. I am jig fishing almost 100% of the time so have no knowledge on using it rigging.

Not sure if it is better but its close. It saves me money and a trip to the bait shop giving me more time on the water.

If your a fathead guy - I like the 3" minnows Emerald Shiners or Smelt.

I would suggest getting a bucket with assorted colors to find out what works best for you.

I use the three inch minnows on a jig head with a steady and very slow retrieve for walleyes. If I jig or twitch it I seem to catch more crappies and bass. I've seen it trigger walleye bites when live leeches won't work.

I always have Gulp Alive and other plastics in my boat ..... I almost never have live bait along any more. I jig much more than I rig or pull spinners and plastics are great for jigging ---- if I was going someplace where there's a strong rigging or spinner bite (ie. mille lacs) I would bring both.

I'm going to Canada this weekend and bought some gulp bait. I didn't buy the alive just the plastic pouch. Sales person told me it is the same stuff just once it's open it doesn't last long.

Generally, I've been a big fan of Gulp smelt minnows up at LOTW. However, over his year of fishing up there, I've been getting much better bites/hits with live bait over Gulp. This year they nibble on Gulp and hit the live bait better.

I use it and have had some success, living on the NY-Ct border, live bait is a pain, if i buy it in NY, it has to be certified and i can have it for just 7 days,dead or alive and if i buy the bait in Ct. I can not bring it back into NY. no uncertified bait can be transported in a motor vehicle and towing a boat is a great way to get stopped for inspection.

I have had good luck with it in the summer but had no luck in the spring with it. I was out the other day with a friend I was useing a live bait rig on the river fishing right below the boat and my friend was useing gulp alive on a jig head he caught three catfish befor I changed and soon after I changed we caught 4 more walleyes within about a half hour .with out a singal bite on the live bait rig

oh... i have found that the key to using gulp alive, is "matching the hatch"

each gulp alive color has its own scent to match that species of fish. so if smelt are in the lake, use smelt. black shad, use black shad. etc.

im not saying this is the onlyway it works. but it certainly helps