• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is the minimum size bass you would mount?

MidCoast

I mounted a 23.5" I caught in Iowa, it went 9 lbs. If I didn't already have that one mounted and caught a 23" in Minnesota, I would mount it as a replica. Since I already have the 23.5" mounted, the next one I would keep would have to be the Minnesota state record......one can always dream !! grin

Generally, 23" largemouth, 22" smallmouth. There may be some bend in my "rule" depending on the fishes characteristics, weight, etc. And I would also probably be doing a replica in either case.

About five years ago I made a gradual transition from the dark side... primarily a walleye angler to bass fishing. I guess you could say I had some beginners luck as I caught several 18's and a few 19's and eventually a 20 incher my first summer really focussing on Bass. Well, due to my rookie status and inexperiance I decided to mount that 20 incher. All things being said, it looks very nice as it is mounted on a sweat piece of drift wood and I have the frog I caught it on hanging from it's mouth... BUT... since then I've caught dozens of fish bigger than that fish and in many ways regret the mount because of it. My personal best is 22 1/4 and let it go (its the fish in my left hand in my avitar picture, the fish in my right hand was a 19.5 incher). Anyway, point of my rambling.... Just think things through. I do like my mounted bass but kinda wish I would have been more patient. I will mount another to go with that bass and my 30 inch walleye but it'll have to be over 22.5 inches. Just hope the wife doesn't get too upset over it is all.

I got one two years ago that was 22" on the nose and one a couple weeks ago that was 21 7/8". I havn't even considered getting a replica. I think it would have to be over 8 pounds for me to do so, whatever length that is.

I don't think I'd mount a live fish. I'd get a replica, but a pic is all I need.

That being said pretty much the same as everyone else.

23" Largie

22" Smallie

I've never caught a 22" of either. 21.25" largie is my top and met that twice that I can remember. A few 20" smallies or a hair over are my bests. I need to get out more