• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is the minimum size bass you would mount?

MidCoast

I caught a 19 inch long bass and 5 1/2 inch wide bass yesterday. Is this too small to mount?

Any ideas on how much this bass would weigh?

Any ideas on cost of mounting?

How common are 19 inch and above bass in the Metro?

First off, there is no certain size that is too small to mount. If you think that is the biggest bass you might catch in your entire life and you are proud of it then you might consider mounting it. To give you perpesctive and to be fair/honest most bass fishermen would wait for a bigger fish. Once a largemouth or smallmouth bass hits 21" it is generally regarded as a 'trophy'. Your bass is probably 4#. Mounts vary in price depending on where you go and price is usually an indicator of quality. There are exceptions and definately shop around and look at the quality and realism of the work any taxidermist does. You're probably going to be close to $250 though. My guy isn't the cheapest but he makes the molds for every fish he mounts by hand so they are shaped exactly like the fish you mount. 19" bass in general aren't too common but there are more than a few. I fish in the north metro and usually wind up with 20 19+" fish a season from that area. Different lakes have more than others and the more you do it the more you will catch. If you decide to mount this bass I'm sure you would enjoy looking at it on your wall and it is a nice fish. At the same time just catching nice fish and framing an 8x10 picture can make for a less expensive yet nice memory in the meantime and will reserve the wall space for that real once in a lifetime catch. Nobody here will tell you that it's too small. Like I said, if you are proud of it and want it on the wall and do it, but not having it on your wall will drive you to fish harder and longer for a crack at a bigger one. And when you get her... you'll know what to do.

My dad mounted a 27 or 28" walleye that he caught in Northern MN in the early 90's. At that time he wasn't an avid fisherman and that seemed like a trophy fish to him. Since then, he has become much more interested in walleye fishing and this year he has caught at least 10 fish between 28-31". You'd think he'd regret that since it is pounds less than his biggest...but I don't think that's the case. He still proudly displays it...

Reproductions are a good option if you have a nice camera, that way you can get your mount and the fish swims to be caught again.

I have a 22" replica on the wall. Consider just an 8X10 for now, like mentioned above and see if you catch one bigger down the road. I sat for 4 years with a pic of my 22 incher trying to beat it, but finally went with the repo.....I'm glad I did!

23" for me and it would be a replica. I've been chasing it for three years now and have come very close multiple times but I'm sticking to that #. It will feel oh so sweet when the day finally comes!!

My Personal goal have been weight and not length with exception of Muskie's.

6 pound largemouth or smallmouth

10 pound Walleye

20 pound Pike

50" Muskie.

Plus in this day and age replica's are the way to go.

Digital camera and length and girth meassurement and your

good to go.

I think with how well they are making replicas now days, that would be the way I would go.

However, one should not ask how big a bass should be to mount to someone else. They should only look at what they want. If its a fish that you have a great memory with, then so be it. If its something you want in your house? Go for it.

PERSONALLY, I prefer a picture for now. I have great picts of my fish I got in florida, but dont have picts of my largest MN bass, and some day plan on getting a replica. That fish went 23 3/8.

19" bass while I would not call Common, are not all that uncommon either.

For myself it would probably need to be 23" before I would spend the money to get a repro done. A 23"er is a once in a lifetime fish in MN. It's been almost six years since I caught my 22"er, and that might end up being my once in a lifetime fish.

But I've always thought it'd be cool to have a little 12" Brook Trout mount for my desk, there are many reasons people choose to get fish mounts, size doesn't always matter.