• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Reel?

Okay...some of you may have seen last week that I got into this musky business....holy moly it's a totally new world...I love it! Spent last week getting some of my own gear, getting set up, etc and am making my first solo trip this evening to give it all a go!

I have 2 Abu 6600s that I used in AK for king salmon that worked fine up there for pulling in fish (and currently all I have until I get some $$ together for a quality reel) but I'm sure pulling these baits they are not going to last long. After all the reading about the "Abu's suck clud" grin I'm preparing for the inevitable for when these reels go down. A friend of mine has access to refurbished Abu 7000s for DIRT cheap straight from Berkley in Spirit Lake IA, so I might get a couple of those to get me through the summer/fall. He loves them and has had very few problems. Regardless...I'd like to start looking for a quality reel. Unless I sell a kidney I can't swing the $4-500 reels, what is a mid range ($$ wise) reel that will be reliable?

Thanks guys.

Depending on how you fish, but I really would recommend the Curado 300dsv. I'd say its a good all around reel for casting applications. You should beable to find one for 150 by shopping around, since they are discontinued. Local Fleet still has them priced high, the local gander should have them on clearance still (probably), just ask them to do a check. Have used 2 seasons and has held up from blades to some bigger stuff. Easy palm and light plus pretty good drag. I think it helps to fish a good season to get a good feel on how you fish in order properly fill your needs. Have moved away from the abu's, but still used them for occasional trolling.

Yikes...okay, now ya gotta go and make it more complicated don't ya! smilegrin

Bulldawgs, believers, a few Spanky Fireballs and Fireflies, couple cowgirls, couple topwaters, and I've been "loaned" a big ol' tackle box full of various musky lures from a friend that doesn't have much time to fish this summer....so basically I've tried to collect a little of everything.

With only one nights experience I guess I can't say how I'll be fishing mostly without some more trips out....however...I loved throwing the cowgirl and I'm usually a huge topwater fan....

I have been buying refurb abu reels from Berkley for years,,their great!!!,,those hard workin Iowa people in Spirit lake put them together better then the original factory crews, Havent bought any for a few years because they last AND I havent been pheasant hunting down there for a while Id always stop in.

I have at least 6 refurbs and 3 7000's they are great for the money,,Reeds use to sell refurbs at the expo but havent for the last couple years,,cant wait till all you guys send back the revo's and I can buy THOSE for dirt cheap refurbs

tell your buddy to garab a refurb 7000 for me!!!! I'll pay em

If you look back a few post there is the same info on it. I think its called "the best reel". I ended up going with a Diawa Saltist 30 with the levelwind. The reel really seems to be a machine. I think for the Money that it will be a great reel its treated me great on my last 3 outings.

Considering the variability in your lures/learning, i'd probably get a calcutta 400B. The curado 300's are great (I think i'm up to 5 now) but not a big blade reel. Haven't been seeing them on discount anywhere anymore, they are sold out and gone for the most part and have been replaced with a redesigned version that's full price.

But then if you're gonna spend that much, the revo toro should be a consideration and having a 5.4:1 gear ratio makes it a great all around option.

Agreed about curado. I have 300e and love it. Throw lures from a to z. Big blade r ok as long I m not burning. I got mine for 198 on e- auction site. Calcutta b or old calcutta with 4.7.1 ratio if u can find them. I love both of mine calcutta and b..

SHIMANO FOR LIFE! smile

I have been buying refurb abu reels from Berkley for years,,their great!!!,,those hard workin Iowa people in Spirit lake put them together better then the original factory crews, Havent bought any for a few years because they last AND I havent been pheasant hunting down there for a while Id always stop in.

I have at least 6 refurbs and 3 7000's they are great for the money,,Reeds use to sell refurbs at the expo but havent for the last couple years,,cant wait till all you guys send back the revo's and I can buy THOSE for dirt cheap refurbs

tell your buddy to garab a refurb 7000 for me!!!! I'll pay em

What's the average price you paid for the refurbs?

Shoot to kill

I used to get the 6500'S for $22-$31 and you could get the old 6000's with bushings for $20 some people like the old 6000's ,,,that was the walk in price last time I was there they would limit you to how many you could buy because one guy was buying a bunch every week and selling them for much more on HSO-Classifieds

couple years ago from Reeds I got 2 7000's 'gold frame" one hsn and one big game for $60 each from reeds which means they got them cheaper from ABU,,,The 7000's were much harder to come by when you stopped in the outlet store basicly luck of the draw,,so if your buddy has a a steady source thats really cool..like I said Id love to get another if he orders extra.

the berkley outlet store is cool with some really good deals however the price of gas now would negate any savings if you made a special trip there from here in the TC area

Shimano calcutta 400B would be the cheapest of the calcuttas that you can buy..$225.. I have one and it is beginning to wheeze a bit from fishing cowgirls.

I also have a Calcutta 400 TE.. $350. this one is undestructible. I would hightly recomend it.

I also fish an Abu Record.. $160.. I love this real as well, but Abu has alway been good to me.

Shoot to kill

I used to get the 6500'S for $22-$31 and you could get the old 6000's with bushings for $20 some people like the old 6000's ,,,that was the walk in price last time I was there they would limit you to how many you could buy because one guy was buying a bunch every week and selling them for much more on HSO-Classifieds

couple years ago from Reeds I got 2 7000's 'gold frame" one hsn and one big game for $60 each from reeds which means they got them cheaper from ABU,,,The 7000's were much harder to come by when you stopped in the outlet store basicly luck of the draw,,so if your buddy has a a steady source thats really cool..like I said Id love to get another if he orders extra.

the berkley outlet store is cool with some really good deals however the price of gas now would negate any savings if you made a special trip there from here in the TC area

That's about what he said too with price and availability...luck of the draw. He lives about an hour from there but I might be taking a trip down to fish Spirit Lake with him next weekend so I will stop in and see what they have. Email me your phone number...if I go I'll let you know and can pick up one for you. [email protected]

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions...now I have a few to keep my eye open for.

7000I are $48 at FFO if the have any. My best all around reel is my Okuma Induron $120 or so. I do like my Revo Toro to and already have dibs on any that come into FFO. I know I'm not high on the list for those but keeping my fingers crossed. I work in Spirit Lake so if anyone needs something I can stop and see what they got for ya.

7000I are $48 at FFO if the have any. My best all around reel is my Okuma Induron $120 or so. I do like my Revo Toro to and already have dibs on any that come into FFO. I know I'm not high on the list for those but keeping my fingers crossed. I work in Spirit Lake so if anyone needs something I can stop and see what they got for ya.

That would be huge! Thank you! I crank with my left hand...can you stop in and see what they have? I could send you a check for the cost of a reel plus shipping plus a little extra for your time? email me if you can, [email protected]

Thx!

Esox - what size Okuma do you have? I had a reality check last night with my Abu 6600...yeah...worthless! Had to find out on my own. grin Now I need 2 reels sooner than later....will the Okuma pull the double 10s? There is an Induron 250 LX for 88 bones on a certain bidding site that starts with an e and ends in bay. (there, I got around the filter!) grin It has the 5:1:1. Also the 400LX for $95 with the 5:1:1.

I can't do the calcuttas right now unless I sell a kidney for all you calcutta lovers. grin

I run the 400 IDX, if theres a problem you may have to send it to CA for fixing but turn arounds maybe 10 days tops. I been ripping mag dawgs on mine and before I got the Toro used it on blades. Put a power handle on it and it will pull the blades easily. Look for california muskie on Muskies First ( I know your on there) hes a top dog at Okuma and will take care of any issues ASAP.

I had a bearing go out on a used IDX and took it apart thinking I could fix it and ended up messing it up worse. I fully disclosed all this to Okuma when I called about fixing it, cost me $8 shipping to get fixed.

Quote:
I can't do the calcuttas right now unless I sell a kidney for all you calcutta lovers. grin

i knew that so that's why i never popped in here and prodded you. but for the record... remember porche had that saying? something about a substitute and there being none? yup, 400TE when you get a chance. really i jumped ship from ABU straight to TE's, heck i liked my 400 so much i got the 250TE/DC before i bought my second 400. so i have no true base to judge in-between, just the several thousand comments i've heard here, there, and everywhere, and the few times i had a chance to use other stuff. IMO, time will be your ultimate judge on what to get. your new at this so go ahead and buy a bunch of stuff till you find your favourite, and one that's reliable over the course of a hard year fishing. i found mine in the 400TE. they get two of three sent too them (one 400 and the 250) every winter for a tune up. i rotate my 400's every other year. they messed up somehow on one last year and were kind enough to send me a brand new in the box replacement of my 4 year old reel AND cut me a check for the lure i lost when it locked up on a cast. i never even asked for the check. now that right there sold me for life. ( shoulda told 'em it was a Wishmaster mad , lol, jk!)

i was going to get a 700TE this year but i figure i don't need it really. i'm not muskie mad so much anymore so i don't think i'd use it enough to justify the price so i'm going to go with one of the 7000 models from Abu to ease the strain on my TE's. but i'll always own a 400TE no matter what. even if i had to sell a kidney? ok, no. wink

Quote:

i knew that so that's why i never popped in here and prodded you. but for the record... remember porche had that saying? something about a substitute and there being none? yup, 400TE when you get a chance. really i jumped ship from ABU straight to TE's, heck i liked my 400 so much i got the 250TE/DC before i bought my second 400. so i have no true base to judge in-between, just the several thousand comments i've heard here, there, and everywhere, and the few times i had a chance to use other stuff. IMO, time will be your ultimate judge on what to get. your new at this so go ahead and buy a bunch of stuff till you find your favourite, and one that's reliable over the course of a hard year fishing. i found mine in the 400TE. they get two of three sent too them (one 400 and the 250) every winter for a tune up. i rotate my 400's every other year. they messed up somehow on one last year and were kind enough to send me a brand new in the box replacement of my 4 year old reel AND cut me a check for the lure i lost when it locked up on a cast. i never even asked for the check. now that right there sold me for life. ( shoulda told 'em it was a Wishmaster mad , lol, jk!)

i was going to get a 700TE this year but i figure i don't need it really. i'm not muskie mad so much anymore so i don't think i'd use it enough to justify the price so i'm going to go with one of the 7000 models from Abu to ease the strain on my TE's. but i'll always own a 400TE no matter what. even if i had to sell a kidney? ok, no. wink

Wow, that was service if they sent you that check...very nice.

I hear ya about the reel! Don't worry...it's not that I don't want one, it's that I had not planned $$ wise for this virus and I'm trying to at least get set up to fish the rest of the year without breaking the bank and sending my wife over the deep edge! grin Pretty much decided I won't spend a dime on any new hunting garbage this fall and will put all my nickels over the winter towards the quality equipment and be ready to rock next summer. You guys on here are great though and I really appreciate all the help!

Shoot2Kill, what happened to your 6600? I just bought one from Cabelas, to give my son my 5500.

Nothing happened to it, it just does not have the power to pull. Pulling a double blade bucktail was a joke...no dice. It was fine for the lighter glide baits, medium sized topwaters, and lighter spinner baits, but anything with any pull to it was not happening. It will fight a fish I have no doubt, but pulling big blades, nada. I was told this by my buddy that set me up on those fish 2 weeks ago, but I'm a stubborn kinda guy and had to give it a go on my own to see for myself. grin