• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm heading back up to my parents house up there. This summer we have done decent with just getting some fish in the boat but nothing spectacular. Two weeks ago we got one walleye in the boat by fishing the channel. Does anyone know any other good tips to have more success. We where jigging with half of night crawlers.

Thanks for the help

I haven't fished for walleyes on Holcombe much but jiggin the channels with crawlers sounds like a good plan. Could have been an off day(s). I'd bring some leeches along, they can certainly have a preference for leeches/crawlers on just about any given day - go figure. Might be worthwhile to mark some cribs and give them a try. Wish I was of more help, good luck and let us know how your trip goes.

Don't know if there is a preference on Holcombe for a certain crank, but you can't go wrong with say either shad raps or flicker shads. Don't be afraid to try up shallow around weeds early or late in the day with shallower running cranks.

You should be fine with just the lure. Keep an eye on the depth and you'll get a good feel for how deep you can get it depending on line diameter, amount of line out, boat speed, rod held high/low, etc.

Good luck tgruenke. I'm headed there this weekend and fished it about a month ago as well. I sure haven't been able to figure out a pattern on this lake.

I'm going to try some of the ideas above and see what I can shake up this weekend... wave if you see an all blue Skeeter running around aimlessly.

I agree that there isn't a great pattern. I see people just sitting in front of my parents house in about 6 feet of water catching fish, but that they are also in the channels. All I know is that it beats sitting in an office.

Good luck.

Shiltsy did you have any luck? I caught a 13 inch walleye in the channel on the north end of the lake with a leech and jig. My dad missed a bigger one on a slip bobber and minnow. We than headed up towards where the jump comes in and caught a decent small mouth on a DTfat 1 and I later caught a nice northern. Would like to here if you had any success.

tgruenke - I would guess if you set tip ups out early and late in the day up by the Jump you'd score walleyes, especially if you know where some weeds are. They move pretty shallow to feed at low light. Its a pretty consistent pattern on Wissota and the two are similar bodies of water. And if you like jigging you can get them out a bit deeper as they move their way in - I like to put a pair of tip ups in shallow weeds and move out to around 8 ft of water and jig with raps or the soft storm baits. Its usually a fairly brief but fast period of action. Once dark I put the jig rod away and put in the third tip up.

We fished in a shallow bay on Saturday no luck. A few guys set up between 2-5 and caught two walleye coming in. Both where using jigging raps. On saturday morning we set up for about an hour off of lions park. Saw something on the Vexilar but no takers. Sounds like it was slow for most people.

I think this year I'm going to have a slip bobber as one option for catching walleyes during the opener. I was thinking to just use crawlers but do you think I would have any luck with leeches or do you think the water will be too cold still.