• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just a quick question about the general area. I have contacted a guide/outfitter in the area. Wondering about costs and the such. Is it worth the trip out there for geese and ducks? I believe there is a 2 goose limit and I am not sure about the ducks. I just really want to bring a few guys out for their first time, and get them on some waterfowl(one works behind a desk and rarely has time outdoors, and the other is in the military and does not have that much time either).

It used to be 1 a day in the regular goose season. Heres a couple shot of hunts I took out east of Ortonvile...

CallingControl.gif

50deadtotal.gif

earlyseason125in5days.gif

We used to do just as well on Greenheads...

DuckOpener2001JoJo.jpg

MallardGrinder.jpg

I may have to go back out there this fall So to answer your question it can be EXCELLENT if your hunting with the right people.Who ya considering hunting with out there?

I live by Appleton and my advice to you would be to contact the Lac Qui Parle game refuge and keep abreast on the goose flight. We do get a helluva bunch of birds through here but they get here when they get here depending on the freeze up in Canada. As far as ducks, we used to have thousands of ducks but the duck hunting has gone down hill and the duck hunting has sucked the last few years. I am not saying that you can't go out and shoot some ducks, but it has been tough even for the most seasoned of local duck hunters.

Good Luck

The main factor determining a good hunt in that area is water and the weather. I used to do well on geese early season upon the first wind out of the north.

As for the shooting a few ducks, you will only do as good as your abilities allow.

HC is right LQP is my last choice, Bigstone is much better check with the USFW office in Odessa. The reason being LQP is my last choice it gets all the attention and filters out most of the tourists because of its reputation and advertising. North and west of Appleton to the border is where I would suggest looking.

As for the outfitters who are you considering?

the refuge numbers are a direct correlation to the weather in canada. a couple good fronts will put over 100K birds in the refuge, but if its a mild fall, there will just be a trickle here and there, with the birds using the refuge becoming gunshy in a hurry. book it later into the season and hope for cold weather. last year was great right up to the end of the season. this year could be even better pending possible changes in the season dates.

Mutha is right! I am originally from Appleton moved to SD in 95 for my job. But when I wass back home LQP was nothing compared to Big Stone area. I wouldn't head out that way until the first good cold snap hits and then go. THe northern flights of mallards will be coming down then too and if you find a farmer that will let you hunt his field it will be nothing short of fantastic. I hunted an area east of Ortonvile, north or Odessa, and west or Artichoke lake ( just north and east a little of Appleton). This area hold a lot of ponds, some private and some public that roost a lot of birds through out the year.

If that doesn't work out for you this year and next year you really want to shoot some birds you look me up over here in SD and I will personally hook you up with some of the best goose and duck hunting you will ever see.

Thanks a ton guys. I am always looking for the best waterfowl hunting. I just moved back here to Minnesota from Nevada, and kinda experienced some great duck hunting out there also. But I would be more than willing to look someone up to get on some great goose/duck hunting.

I like to hit Lac Que Parle once or twice a year for geese. The refuge blinds are a great deal for the price. The Minn.DNR has a migration report on its HSOforum that is updated weekly during the migration season. If I see a good report, I sometimes plan a quick trip to catch the birds before they get educated by sky blasters. The guys at the refuge are very helpful in letting you know how the hunt is and which blinds are doing best. For an easy, low-buck hunt,LQP is a good choice.

The last few years, the geese have been holding on the Canadian prairies until later in the season before migrating. Then they descend in hoards. Most of the hunting is pass shooting. You're allowed two geese and you can take 12 shells to the blind.

How true Manchild26.

Been a few years since I stacked em up like that. Oh well now all I have to live for is just shooting bears and divers....

One things for sure, that's a nice cat in your picture funny how "little" guys like you sure make'em look big.

LOL see ya round....

A lot of the posters are exactly right when they are saying to follow the migration reports. All it really takes is a good front and NW wind and we can go from a few thousand birds on the refuge to 50,000.

Case in point second weekend of the season last year we had 12,000 geese on the refuge on Saturday. Then we had a crazy NW wind 30+ mph constant with gusts over 45 mph(keeping decoys upright that day was a chore), but on the following Monday the goose count had risen to 45,000.

But when the birds migrate you won't find a better hunt in the state. Feel free to give us a call if you have any other questions about the area

www.indepthhunting.com