• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Franklin Contest

TChard

Just wondering who's all going to the franklin contest this year. We have never participated in it but I think we are going to this year. Had two other question what are the boundaries and is it a weigh in contest or picture and inches?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First the boundrys are the entire minnesota river just have to have the flat or channel back at the weigh in by Sunday noon

this is a great time and I will be their to try and repeat the win (I hope) You can camp at the puplic access for free but its first come first serve and tons of sand bars on the river those two are first come first serve. The little town of Franklin puts on a great shin-dig, softball tourney,streetdance,whole town garage sale and lets not forget the Parade after the contest last year I couldnt stick around for the parade and the catfish winners serimonie thats goes on but if I repeat this year I wanna be in the parade crazygrin

If you do attend this could be you:

100_1673.jpg

most people fish right around the franklin area I have not heard of anyone traveling miles and miles to enter a fish its not worth it its a 100.00 dollars first prise and a trophy and bragging rights for a yr and a lifetime of memorys. The DNR take very good care of these fish and they release them back to the river. they (the dnr) are constantly watching over these cats and take the nesasary steps to ensure a cats survival.

I've said it before and will say it again If your in it for the money stay home their isnt any.

BTW the fish I caught traveled less than 5miles from were I caught it

Was thinking about doing it with my brother inlaw who has just got into fishing and has never caught much of any fish with size. But i for one really dont know anything about that river. Is there normaly a fair number of fish caught. One other thing is there a lot of shore fishing??

Lot of boats on the river to I suppose?? Kinda sounds like fun. So if I was to bring my boat up doubtfull but maybe what would be the best way to get it the weigh in?? Thanks elwwod I am sure to have some more questions for you.

How do you transport a big cat like that from a boat or shore to the weigh in without hurting the fish?

I made a holding tank its a cutdown cow tank and we put two water pumps in it to circulate the water so its always oxynaigated (hope I got that right) and have gone as far as bring a real small baottle of Oxygen with just in case its really hot out.

Ive seen people put a big tarp in the back of there truck and fill it with water to get it to the weigh but I really wouldnt recomend that. The weigh in is roughly a mile and half or less from the Franklin landing and last year a guy brought in I belive it was 32 lber and it was tagged. the dnr quickly and carfully took the data and got that fish back to the river found out the fish was tagged I think ten years earlier and that it had only put on average One pound years and it only grew like only an inch each year. it was just cool

The year I won I had a horse trough watering tank, filled it with river water and some ice to cool it down a bit and the fish was lively as ever all weekend. The DNR does take good care of them while the fish are in their control. They have a nice shady area with high output aerators that will keep many large fish alive over the weekend. There are some dumbsh*ts that don't take the time or give the proper care to the fish to see that they survive. Every year we fish if its not over 40lbs we don't bother bringing it in. It is not worth the $100 to risk killing a big fish.

As far as boundaries I believe their are boundaries to the contest but there are so many people that fish the contest that spots fill up fast and it would be hard to control. There are a few shore spots but most get taken right away so unless you are bringing a boat goodluck to you. If your not fishing a couple miles from franklin don't bother bringing the fish in unless you know its gonna make it their alive. It is a live contest, DNR wiighs and measures. The year I won, some poeple had caught a 50+lbr on the Wednesday before the tourney and had tied it up. Brought the fish in on saturday but it was dead and only weighed 44lbs. For one, they didn't win anything for the contest and two, they killed a fish that weighed over 50lbs. Cheaters never win in the end.

Its a fun time. plenty of places to fish. They have a kids and a junior division also. I have fished it for years and never entered a fish. My son won the jr once tho with a 28# flathead.

Last year I brought up the contest and it did not go over well on here. so good luck with this. Any questions ask away.

Most of the problems I see is that all it takes is a few bad apples to give a black eye to the rest.

I’ll be quite honest, I have nothing against people who fish these contests, heck even the people that run them. I just have a philosophical difference in my opinion in how they should be run. There is no right or wrong way, or bad or good. I just have my own ideas. The biggest beef I have is transporting these huge fish.

If it needs to be that way, then people should be checked and or there should be a standard across the board for fish containers prior to or during registration.

I would suggest that we try our best to keep this thread on track and discuss the positives of the contest. I wish everyone good luck and hopefully Elwood or CFHunter can become 2 time winners! Maybe even TChard will show em how it’s done.

There is no perfect contest in my eyes, but this contest is a lot better then others out there. What these contests need is a few good apples to show by example on how to handle big fish, and offer good advise to those who may not know the best ways to handle and transport them, or to answer questions that others may have. I know there are several smart cat fishermen that enter this contest, and they are the reason it is run as well as it is. I am going to do my part at another local contest this year, and try to help anyway I can.

Truth be told these contests arent going away. Catfishing as a whole is gaining tremendous ground and these tournemants will also gain popularity. The only adviseable thing to do is what Dtro and 4wanderingeyes said...Educate. Teach them that if they enjoy the fishery there is only one way to ensure it stays as good as its been. C&R baby!

I know a handful of guys at the BP contest last year that made serious efforts to deliver their fish for the weigh in alive and healthy...then successfully released them (including last years winner).

On a different note...if the DNR oversees the franklin tourney...why arent they present at the BP contest? Would be nice to see a presence there as well.

Quote:
On a different note...if the DNR oversees the franklin tourney...why arent they present at the BP contest? Would be nice to see a presence there as well.

They where around, but mainly on the river looking for the trot lines and such. There will be more involvement with it this year.

Say Tommy- I know of someone who would like to join you in the RP if you decide to fish it wink

lowblazah I asked the DNR about that a few years back and all the C.O said is We would be happy to work with the BellePlaine contest but they have ask us to do it. A couple of us passed that info onto a couple of the BP guys and they said mind your own bussiness and we really dont need them here.

I thought I tried to do my part but it was obviuos that they didnt care.

EDUCATE and lead by example is what we as responsible catfisherman need to do in order to have this sport fluorish and i think the members of FM do that very thing.

Dtro I really like your idea of the container rule I may pass that on to the DNR at Franklin

A couple of us passed that info onto a couple of the BP guys and they said mind your own bussiness and we really dont need them here.

I thought I tried to do my part but it was obviuos that they didnt care.

how long ago was that? seems to me with all the eyes on this contest they would want them there to help them turn its image around.

Most of the problems I see is that all it takes is a few bad apples to give a black eye to the rest.

I’ll be quite honest, I have nothing against people who fish these contests, heck even the people that run them. I just have a philosophical difference in my opinion in how they should be run. There is no right or wrong way, or bad or good. I just have my own ideas. The biggest beef I have is transporting these huge fish.

If it needs to be that way, then people should be checked and or there should be a standard across the board for fish containers prior to or during registration.

I would suggest that we try our best to keep this thread on track and discuss the positives of the contest. I wish everyone good luck and hopefully Elwood or CFHunter can become 2 time winners! Maybe even TChard will show em how it’s done.

Couldn't agree more. You can keep a catfish alive for more than a week, but if you just catch it throw it in a tank and think you are going to just leave it in there without keeping very close eye's on discoleration, turning belly up,ect. we'll then you are the guy we are talking about. These fish may be tough but you still have to handle them like a newborn. I will say the Franklin contest already sounds like it's handled alot better then BP'S SH$T SHOW but WE ALL still have to be looking out for the Catfish's interest not the $100 or the bragging rights. So I think the franklin contest will be a go for us but if it isn't over 40 I won't even bother. Thanks for all the INFO Everybody GOOD LUCK TO ALL

PAPA GRUMP give me a Shout cool

I would sure like to fish it this year just for the fun of fishing. The river is way low again and almost unboatable. They do put on a pretty darn good shindig over there.

My biggest beef is allowing stringer fish. Most people put the big cats on stringers and keep them till they can go weigh in. There should be no stringers allowed. And also large enough tanks for transporting. I have heard so many rumors which I know many are not rumors that people have fish on stringers for a week or two before hand.. that is not right.

As for boundries, I was told it is from Co. rd 4 East of Franklin to Granite falls. Not the whole MN river. Might have to do some looking in to that I guess.