• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Local Police Dept

GlassEyeangler

Well, I know if I had done the same thing as glasseye angler had I would be a bit unnerved also. By the deputies response it only reinforces the "stigma" some enforcement officers do not completely play by the rules or are above the rules, it also shows that some have a chip on their shoulder and dont believe they have to answer to the public.

Sure, the deputy did nothing illegal but that's not saying he did nothing wrong. He is a servant of the people and not just law enforcement.

That being said, I gratefully thank those that are out their helping us when we are in need of help. Weird to say I also thank them for putting me back in line when I did/do cross the line, not that I do anymore, maybe a discretion here and there but when I was younger I sure was not an angle.

Enforcement deserves our respect for everything they do for us.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure seems like people have made this a much bigger issue than it was. I support the local authorities 100%, but that doesn’t mean anyone should get a complete green light. Somehow glasseyeangler has turned into the “bad guy”

There is nothing wrong with respectfully questioning authority.

The original poster was at a public launch and noticed a Sheriff’s trailer caked with weeds. Whether legal or not isn’t even the argument here, I’m guessing. It’s the public perception and example set. You don’t see LEO’s/CO driving around in tattered jeans an old ball cap and smoking a heater on duty (unless undercover) do you ? That’s perfectly legal too.

Comparing the on duty antics of office Joe and a public LEO/CO is apples to oranges in my opinion. The LEO’s/CO’s are everyday people like you and me, however on duty they demand respect along with enforcing the laws, and in turn should set a good example to follow.

I bet a simple smile and “thanks we’ll be pulling those weeds off before we go, enjoy your day on the lake” would have nipped everything in the bud.

It’s pretty tough to get respect without giving it as well.

dtro...you are the man! you wrote exactly what i want to say. perception is everything...first job interview, professional football players (ah, like Farve with the Vikes...really? - just kidding, we could go on with that subject for years), etc.

i am also amazed how blown out of proportion this thread has become; however, some very good comments posted.

just for the record...i was at Fox Lake (Rice Co) on Sunday, and had a very plesant visit from the Sheriff's dept. this time there were two young (i think, exporatory cops) guys that came by to check out my life vest/fire extiguisher situation, and they were very professional...and, guess what - no weeds on their trailer to boot!

happy fishing to eveyone...

dtro - i would love the opportunity to fish with you sometime. i see you really enjoy targeting catfish, and i haven't done that in years. maybe we could meet sometime at Byllsby (spelling?) Lake in Dakota Co?!?

keep the comments coming

I don't see how respect was lacking by the boater. As far as he knew, they were breaking the law. He didn't say or do anything disrespectful, other than asking them about it. It's the same as asking an off-duty cop why they just sped down 494. If you're an authority figure, that means you're a role-model. And if you're a role-model, your actions must not only be legal, they must be above average. Not only were leaving all those weeds (who knows if they were legal or not?) on the boat poor role-modeling, but ignoring a good citizen was even worse.

A lot of it has to do with perception and in this case what the one officer did was give a citizen a bad perception of himself. I don't think acknowledgement from a public servent is too much to ask. And if you are having a bad day it's no excuse. I have them a lot but you can't go off or disrespect folks for that reason.