• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

camping on cut foot sioux lake - backcountry sites

mrjigger

I was thinking of taking my son camping for the first time. Wanted to do something a little more primitive. I read that there are backcountry campsites on Cut Foot Sioux lake in the chippewa National forest. The sites are accessible by boat only. I was wondering if anyone has camped at these sites and what they are like? Also what is Cut Foot Sioux like? Is it highly developed? I really don't want to be setting my campsite up next to some guys cabin. How good is the fishing?

thanks for any help you can provide.

All the remote campsites that are accessible only by boat are very nice, very primitive, bring water etc, no worries about being next to a cabin, house or for that matter even another camping site

thanks for the replies.

I guess we are going to give it a try this weekend.

Quick question.

I know people who go to the boundary waters fairly often. They hang their food from trees to keep bears and other critters away.

Should I be doing the same while camping at these sites. I have a large plastic tote that is basically lockable. Would that work?

thanks.

We were camped at one of the boat access only campsites in a different part of the Chippewa a few years ago and had a bear issue. He came in the middle of the night and ran off with our Action Packer (plastic tote) full of food. We tracked him down and scared him off before he ate too much.

These days we hang some of the food, and then we take the coolers and put them under the picnic table. We have to lift up the table to get them under there, we figure if a bear comes he might have access to the coolers but he can't run off with them.

I'll never forget being waken from a sound sleep to the sound of a bear running off with a 2'x 2'x 3' plastic tote on a dead calm night. Thumpity thump thump thumpity..... smile I continue to use it, and it still has teeth marks.