• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upgrading is getting pretty tough!!

SteveD

What a beautiful night to be on the river. Calm to light breeze, cool evening temps, partly cloudy with a beautiful moon. I got a late start and didn't get hooks in the water until 2100. The boat traffic was way down from Saturday night and conditions were perfect for a night of catfishing.

At 2215 I heard the thunk of that flat hitting the bullie and then the clicker starting screaming. I got the rod out of the holder, pointed it at the fish and engaged the reel and that fish just kept going and set itself on the circle hook. She was pretty spunky and put up a great fight. I'm using the 2 hook cat bait harness and I was glad I did - the main 8/0 circle hook missed her completely but the 5/0 stinger circle hook was firmly embedded in the side of her mouth.

She measured out at 46" X 25" for 71 points and the Flathead Weight Conversion chart puts her at 41 lbs. I was sure she was an upgrade when I netted her and dragged her into the boat. She was big and beautiful unfortunately my smallest fish entry right now is 71 points so no upgrade. Sure was a fun fish though.

She was pretty beat up from spawning and I'm sure she was a hungry post-spawn female which is a good sign. Success two nights in a row has me ready to go again. I think the big ones are back and I'm after them again.

46X2512July092.jpg

This was a really big fish. When I netted it I was sure I had an upgrade. The spawn was tough on this fish - I'll bet her girth was 30" or better just before spawning. She fought really hard and it took a lot out of her. When I got her in the boat she was just exhausted and just laid there like a lump. I got her back into the water as quick as I could and it took a long time to revive her alongside the boat before I released her. I'd like to catch this fish again in August after she has a month or so to put on some weight.

nice fish Steve and I think that your off to the races again. next week I go on the family vacation they didnt think the river and tentin it would be cool for a week but I still think thats what I wanna do.

I feel your pain Steve...It's getting really hard for me to upgrade at this point as well. My two smallest KOTC fish are 70 points each and the largest 72 points so it's going to take a lot to pass it up. I have caught two fish since that were over 30 lbs. but not upgrades (very, very close however).

Good luck out there everyone, I just hope to stay on the leader board by the end of the contest...that is my goal. I know that it will take a lot to get back into the green, but would love to finish in the top 10.