• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tire size

okay, I have searched the site a little bit and haven't found the answer: I am looking for new tires for my F150 (2005) crew cab, currently has 255/70/17 on them and I want to go to 265/70/17. Probably going with BFG A/T's .....

Can I go to a 265? what problems could I run into if any?

Thanks for the help

No problems except maybe 1 or 2 mph slower on the speedometer. a bit taller. I dont remember the fomula but I think it comes out to going from a 30 inch tire to a 31 inch tire.

May I suggest a Yokahama Tire better ride and $80 cheaper for the same quality. One thing though its a more aggresive tread so if your not into that may not be a good choice. They dont howl either but sure look cool.

I put a set of 285 X 70 on my full size Blazer and the tread wear compared to the BFG about the same.over $300 in savings. IMO BFGs are over rated for what you get in price.

let me correct my self

The tire differance is minnamal

265 x70 are 30.6 inch tall and 10.4 wide

255x 70 are 30.1 inch tall and 10 inch wide.

you ony achieve a 1/2 taller and wider tire

No big change to affect much if anything

265's are definitely doo able. You might even be able to squeez 285's under that F150. I have them on a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500. There is a little rubbin' but nothing too bad. I also performed a little "surgery" with a sawzall laugh

I think 265/70R17's are actually about 31.6" in diameter. (265 mm / 25.4 mm/inch) = 10.4"(width) 10.4 X .70 (The side wall height is 70% of the tire width) = 7.28 (sidewall height) 7.28 x 2 = 14.56" + 17"(for the rim) = 31.56" or about 31.6" (Or probably could be considered a 32" tire)

If you shop around on the internet you can get BFG AT's a lot cheaper than at a tire dealer.

I probably go in the opposite direction as croix, I think BFG's are the way to go. The quality of the tire for the extra price is more than worth it IMO. I have had a set on four different trucks ('90 Chev 1500, '01 & '03 Ford Rangers, '04 GMC Sierra) and have been more than happy with the performance with all of them. They have all been pretty tough tires and I have driven with them in some fairly tough terrain. I have really liked their performance in the snow / out on the lake.

I guess it would also depend on how aggressive of a tread you want too. I don't know much about Yokohama (Geolanders?). I would be curios to know if they are "Passenger Car" tires or if the are "Light Truck" (P265/70R17 vs LT265/70R17)

Caseymcq you are right on the size I went off a 16 inch rim calculation.

Dont get me wrong the BFG are a verry nice tire I have gone through a few sets also.

At the time it was spend $210 a tire or $135 and I wanted to up the size of rims also .

The Yokahama's Geolander are what they are correct again

As for the model Yokohama Geolander AT-S LT 285 75 16 R DI(8Ply)

Did a bit of research and there price went up $40 since I bought them.

Go to a 285 like caseymcq says that would look awsome any brand of tire and you can get a chip to fix the speedo differance

If the Yokohama's are LT's and 8 ply they oughta be just as tough as a BFG. I think if a person is going to use the tires "off road" getting a model that is LT is the important part (so the tires are built with a beefy sidewall).

The BFG's I bought went up $40 / each since I bought them too. crazy Ouch laugh

tires and a chip? what is that chip going to set me back? My truck has a bunch of hail damage so I don't want "COOL/MEAN/BAD ARSE" Tires, just not a lot of choices at 255.....165 is what I have found for the Yoko's .....will probably pull the trigger this week. I am due for a brake job as well...

while I am at it, how do I keep the accumulation of brake dust on my rims down....obviously not using my brakes would help I guess.......; )

Can always look at the BFG Rugged Trails. They are a solid tire for highway wear and offroad, but have good traction also. They are on my plow truck and have not gotten stuck yet. They are also less expensive then the AT's.

how do I keep the accumulation of brake dust on my rims down....obviously not using my brakes would help I guess.......; )

A couple ideas. First, a good wheel cleaner when you wash it. Armorall, Turtle Wax, etc. Something that loosens up the dust before you wash it. Second, is pollish. A little bit will keep the wheels a little "slippery" so the dust will be less likely to accumulate.

well after some more research and talking with the guy in Iowa that does all the car work for my dad ( 30+ years of vehicle work) I went with Michelin LTX M/S. They were a little more than I would have liked to have spent, not much but still more, I will see how long these last. Leo has a truck similar to mine and he got 97K on his last set.........Decided against the LT tires and stayed with P meteric.....I rarely go off road so I didn't really need that heavy duty of a tire.