• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transducer Issues

Shwangman

Question

I got problems with the transducer, I believe, given the fact that I got a replacement for my LCX27. The unit will read 1.6 feet and will stay for a long time then will read the bottom correct but, then after a time, it will go back to the 1.6 again. I know that the transducer has different setting to tilt up or down and I assume to get a good reading, it should be flat on the water. I used the unit on the 4th and it had a couple of times when it did not read but most of the time on the water it was fine. Couple things I read was that the face gets dirty and that you need to clean it and I assume with soap and water but not sure and if that does not do, I would guess I need to replace the transducer? Anybody has any thoughts would be great. Thanks. Ken

14 answers to this question

I've been having issues lately with bugs / plankton / algae in the water.

I have an HDS unit that reads through it and shows it on the screen and gives me good bottom readings. I have an LMS unit that really has trouble with it, it will read 2.6 ft and just show me a yellow line.

I ran into a buddy on the lake a few days ago and we were floating next to each other so we could talk. He also has an LMS unit that couldn't read through it. As we drifted I could see it dispersing or thinning out on my HDS, the all of a sudden both our LMS units started working great again as soon as we got past the bugs / algae / plankton.

I have been able to clean up my LMS screen by turning down my sensitivity and my colorline settings. I'd suggest trying that first. If your transducer is working at times, especially in deep water and/or when your boat is moving fast, then it's probably not a bad transducer.

When your graph is reading 1.6 ft, do you happen to be in weedy water? My lcx 27 did the same thing in water that was 10 ft deep but with 8 ft of weeds.

A software update fixed this problem as the newer versions have the shallow water option.

I also had to replace my transducer because even with my sensitivity at 100% I would hav a hard time reading bottom in 40ft+ water.

Let us know what you find out. Many of us have been working out the bugs with units such as the 27's and 522's etc. and have some good info to share.

SM1

No, it was 1.6, in most of the areas that I went to on Lake Waconia and I'm pretty sure the weeds are not the problem!! I ran the unit on Otter Tail over the 4th and had little to no problems in the reading of depths. So now, even thou I just got a new replacement for the 27, I still need to do a soft ware update? Do you go to the site and down load this to your LCX 27 ?? I don't remember a cord coming with the unit for the computer or maybe it did ??

I'm trying to score a transducer off HSO-Classifieds, I think its a HST-WSBL so it may be a bit but, what ever I find out, i will post. I will let you guys know what a happens.

Thanks a lot. Ken

I just replaced my transducer for my 520c, it works great now. One thing that I noticed was the there were 8 pins in the old one and now there are only 5 pins in the new transducer plug in. I got my transducer from pro fishing supplys in waconia very reasonible price and hes local.

My replacement ducer also had 5 pins this time compared to 8 on the old one, but everything works great.

shwang, you should check to see what software version is on your graph. (Menu, Menu, system setup, software information) I have had good luck with the latest non-beta version: 2.4.0. These graphs were designed to run in much deeper water and I think weeds can somtimes confuse the unit in shallow water. Thats where a the latest sofware version should help.

Its not surprising your graph worked good on ottertail because, for the most part, the weeds dont start until you get down into 10'+, they are short weeds, and most of the lake has a nice sand bottom.

Udating the software is simple. Go on the lowrance site to product updates and save the new software version on to a SD card (2G size or less). Then, with the unit off, put the card in the tray, close and power up the graph and it should automatically update.

If all that doesnt fix it a new ducer should take care of it. I have gone through all the same stuff with my 27 so I feel your pain.

SM1:

I have the 2.40 version so I should be good in terms of not needing to download the software or should I do it anyway? One thing I was watching on a video was that on the sonar features where you have options, the guy on the video talked about having it set at shallow water and I notice the setting on mine was general use plus another thing that I'm not sure when my buddy wanted to play with the unit to see if he liked it or not, some how changed the transducer setting from 200 to 50&200 and I'm pretty sure with that setting, that unit is going to act odd!!

I still think a new transducer might be in order, it was a hand me down and I have no idea how old the unit is. Your right about Otter Tail, not allot of weeds. Thanks for your support, as you said it best, the pain!!!!!!

If you already have 2.4.0, I would not bother with downloading. If you have the unit set in shallow water mode and have the proper transducer slected, then it should work. If not, then try the new transducer.

After one winter in cold storage and having the thing not work in the spring, I will be taking my transducer off the boat and kept indoors this winter. I dont want to buy one every year.

I will skip the down load. The unit is set at general use, I will switch to shallow water mode. I don't know about taking the tranducer off every winter but I will be taking the GPS puck off and buying a new one of those after a year !!