• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on B&S 8hp engine?

311Hemi

Question

I recent acquired a Coleman generator from a friend that had an engine that was froze up. He said the last time it was running the muffler was glowing red. An engine shop put the muffle on for him after he lost the last one so I don't know if it's the right one for the engine.

Anyways, I took the generator off the engine and took a wrench to the engine shaft and got the engine to turn over fairly easily with the wrench and got things freed up. I could not pull it over before doing that. I checked the compression and it read just above 90 psi. I cleaned the carb put everything back together and it started up right away and runs good for the short amount of time I ran it. Cleaned the generator part as that was a little rusty and mounted that back on the engine and it's working properly.

A couple questions. What would cause the muffler to get so hot (wrong muffler, running really lean)? Also, I am wondering if I should think about mixing fuel for this setup, or am I better off just running strait gas as it normally would take? Not sure if that would protect the rings any more or if this thing may just be a wait and see kind of deal on if it's going to lock up again. I am going to put new oil in it.

1 answer to this question