• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

just wondering..... whats the weirdest/strangest fish you have caught

roughfish29

mine was a 4" fathead minnow caught by the mouth on a crappie jig. i catch shiners and chubs all the time, but that was the first time i've ever caught a fathead. i didn't think they had big enough mouths to eat a lure. but hey, you never know.....

whats your weirdest fish?

Here's my 1st legal Shortnose Gar, got him last night.

IMG00036.jpg

How on earth I was ever able to bury that 10/0 Gamakatsu through the tip of that narrow beak, I'll never know. Its like threading a needle in the dark with a piece of thread to large for the hole. You try to hook this fish 100 times and you won't. Obviously this was an incidental catch as I was fishing a 7-8" live creek chub for flathead catfish but it just baffles me... how was this fish going to eat an 8" creek chub?

mine would have to be a plecostamos (sp?) got the little guy last year while fishing for bullhead. not sure how he got in the pond. but plecos wouldnt survive a minnesota winter. so it had to have been released in there earlier in the year.

post-1862-1220888653.jpg

I caught a sculpin on mille lacs ice fishing a few years back. I saw them scurrying around the rocks, so i put on a tiny tear drop and a piece of maggot. Wierd fish, they crawl on the rocks with over sized pectoral fins.

Will

Once someone must have let a bunch of koi go in a pond by my old house. I saw them from the rod and went back with my girlfriend with some tackle and a couple rods... We must have caught 50 of them! All different colored ones, pretty fun I though

where did you catch a koi??? was it in MN?

yeah it was in minnesota. i was fishing in the cannon river when i hooked what i thought was just another 4-5 pound carp. But as it got closer, i realized this was no ordinary carp!

i heard of a small lake by my house that, according to a fellow i met at my dentist, is full of koi. i'll find out this spring wink