Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
FishingWebGuy

Moldy jerky

I made a couple pounds of meat sticks about 2 weeks ago (cured, then dried). After they dried, I stored them in an air-tight container on the counter.

Yesterday as I went to grab one I noticed quite a bit of mold growing. I didn't think cured meat was going to mold. Certainly before electricity the meat was cured and hung, right? Did the meat back then not mold or did they just scrape the mold off? or would they not mold if stored in open air?

Did you wipe off the excess grease before storing and let the meat cool before storing? I keep my jerky in the fridge for upwards of a month after drying and have never had it show mold. I have not had any experience with sticks, so sorry don't know more here.

Fredd, no to both. I did wrap the sticks in paper towels though to absorb the grease but didn't actually wipe it off. So after storing in the fridge for a month you can store them on the counter and they don't grow mold? Or just while they are in the fridge they don't grow mold?

I want to try an learn how to keep them without refrigeration or freezing -- if that's possible.

Maybe they needed to dry longer?

Just because you made jerky does not mean it's shelf stable. Ph and moisture are the keys for that. what you should have done was place it inthe fridge. when you go to the meat shop, some are out and others are keep refridgerated. sorry about my spelling!!

Always remember just because it's cured does not mean it's a shelf stable product. I do have a smoker and make these things, but I'm also food inspector.

Mike

Two things cause mold: moisture and air. My guess would be that your jerky was not dry enough to store in anything less than a vacuum packed container.

Also, mold grows quicker when it's stored in a moist place. So, you may want to rethink storing moist jerky in the refrigerator unless it's vacuumed sealed or thoroughly dried.

Here's a tidbit from the AMA that you also want to think about:

E.Coli can survive drying times of up to 10 hours and temperatures of up to 145 degrees F. It is recommended that venison being dried for jerky should be precooked to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F.

Cured is a loose term. That Yard'O Beef sitting in the isle unrefrigerated at Wallmart is different then home made jerky.

I'd refrigerate the motherload of jerky.

Without refrigeration you'd be better off leaving it to the air in a cool dry place.

ok, thanks for the info everyone. So how do I make it non shelf perishable? 100 years ago how did they smoke food and store it without refridgeration?

Maybe the drying time needs to be longer? Maybe next time I'll try cold smoking them?

Any thoughts?

Here's how I make mine in a dehydrator FWG.

Once it's been dehydrated I put it on a paper towel, lay a paper towel on top and continue stacking until all the jerkey is on the towels. I then put them in the microwave with something heavey on top overnight. I take it off the towels in the morning and put it individual ziploc bags. I put some in an ice cream bucket and put in the freezer (I make 10+ lbs at a time). I keep about 2 lbs out and in the fridge. I will take one bag out at a time and take it to work or whatnot. I've had it last in that ziploc bag in my cube for 2 or 3 weeks with no mold.

The only times I have had mold problems is if I didn't take the time to get all the grease off the meat after dehydrated.