Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
minneman

minnow buckets

12 posts in this topic

whats better than a 5gl bucket, or those foam buckets? there must be something better..!

I just have always used a leftover 1-gallon ice cream plastic bucket for ice fishing. Cut a few holes in the lid and it's fine. There are ways to keep them from freezing, but, especially with fatheads, I don't even mind if it starts getting thick slush in there, 'cause it's hard to kill fatheads.

With the lid on tight, it stays in my Fish Trap just fine when I'm towing it. Starts to freeze, move it closer to the heater. Starts to get too warm, move it farther away. No prob. You can go with the oxygenated battery operated gizmos, but simple is good.

I even throw the live sucker minnows I use for pike tip-ups in with the fatheads. Keep it all cold enough and it's amazing how little oxygen minnows need. Shiners, now, that's a different matter. Look at them crosseyed and they'll turn belly up.

I use a carry-type coolers; ones with handles. They keep the water from freezing quickly. And, no water leaks.

I second the personall cooler, simply the best bait bucket; all of the features necessary, insulated, sturdy handle, locking lid (doesn't splash or spill), and available in several sizes. What more could you ask for, these are available for under $10, and last for many years.

I use a styrafoam insert that goes into a 5 gal bucket. They are fairly thick and insulate well. I often leave it in the truck over night if it isn't too cold.

I obtained through work some buckets that have a screw on lid that are water tight. Lid never will come off if you happen to spill them. Easy to transport to a permanent house on a snowmobile/4wheeler.

I have an insert that fits inside a 3lb coffee can. it takes up little space and with the can lid in place it doesn't slop all over the place. I found mine blown up against a snow fence by my garden but have seen them for a couple bucks at various locations.

ALL the above work good if you have the room. I like the personal coolers myself. The larger ones can double as a seat , fit in a milk crate and are fairly spill proof.

I love my Sit-N-Fish pail. It has a nice foam container inside with a lid on it. I usually throw a few things on top of the minnow bucket lid--- snacks, pop, waxies, etc and then put the sit-n-fish lid on. The lid has a slight bit of padding on it, so fishing on it saves room and is fairly comfy. It is also a taller bucket, which is nice for sittin on. Means I don't have to drag out a chair when I go alone. I am going to get a second one and take the cooler out of it and use it when transporing my vex and a few other smaller things that I might want to have on the ice. The cover on the pail is great to keep things dry when transporting. I think I got mine on sale for around 10 bucks last spring. Think is made by Frabill. I wouldn't trade mine.

------------------
Born to Fish, Forced to Work!

If you don't really like any of them, then you ca get the new Frabill min-o-life bait station that has an aerator on it. That looks pretty good.
It looks like a cooler and probably would work pretty good if you want to keep shiners alive or something else.
It cost around $30.00.
Just a thought.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

INSULATED WATER JUGS/COOLER - WIDE MOUTHS - SCREW ON LIDS - AND A HANDLE - BEEN USING EM FOR YEARS - WHEN THEY BOUNCE AND TIP WHILE TOWING INSIDE MY TRAP THEY NEVER LEAK

I like the coolers, water jugs and ice cream too.
But when im on a weekend trip like Red lake and bring 10 doz minnows I use a 2 1/2 gal pale. Its the same width as a 5 gal gallon bucket but shorter. With that many minnows you need the surface area to keep oxygen in the water.