• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Losing Plastics

kitchy

I've been fishing a lot of wacky rigged Senkos lately. I am losing a ton of them to short bites or the fish shake them off by the time I land them. It's getting quite expensive. Any suggestions on increasing the longevity of the Senko. I've tried to hook both parallel and perpendicular to the worm. It's gotten so bad that I have switch to different techniques (Texas Rig, Shaky Worm Rig). I'm assuming I should not set the hook until I see my line moving. I get impatient and try to set on "bites" and this seems to be a major contributor to losing my bait.

I have the same issue with the fish shaking it off, but even using the O ring only gets me a few more fish per plastic. The O ring ends up cutting through the plastic after awhile.

Nature of the beast. On a good bite I expect to go threw a package of whatever is working per outing. Sometimes all the glue, O-rings, heat, etc. can't keep up with with a bass or pike H-bent on destroying your stuff.

Then there are the panfish.....

i found some o rings for electrical or plumbing, im not sure. perfect size for senkos. i can catch 10 fish easily on just one.

i use to use the electrical tape technique, that also works well.

as for outfishing senkos, i have actual had days were fish would not take senkos at all. then i wacky rigged a cheap plastic worms (with a grub tail), i believe it was a manns. and i slayed the bass.

every lure has its own place, no lure is the best lure all the time.

alluringbaits makes a really good senko knockoff with a lot of good colors and a great price i will only be buying them unless i get a good deal on senkos. These are proven baits and on another bass forum many people swear buy them. make sure to check out the specials to and they have great customer service. They have alot of good types of baits alot cheaper. The senkos are called salty trick sticks and are 25 pack for 6 bucks or 10 pack for 3. I am not affiliated with them at all just letting you know about a good deal

alluringbaits makes a really good senko knockoff with a lot of good colors and a great price i will only be buying them unless i get a good deal on senkos. These are proven baits and on another bass forum many people swear buy them. make sure to check out the specials to and they have great customer service. They have alot of good types of baits alot cheaper. The senkos are called salty trick sticks and are 25 pack for 6 bucks or 10 pack for 3. I am not affiliated with them at all just letting you know about a good deal

YUM dingers are a very good substitute for senkos as well

Originally Posted By: goblueM
as are mr twister comidas

never knew Mr twister made anything other than grubs. where do you get em? if they work as well as the grubs they would SLAY the bass

MrTwister has made a ton of plastics over the years... The comida is very similar to the Senko, not quite as heavy but more durable.

I have tried a lot (atleast 25) of senko imitations and they all work fine. People tend to get too hung up on name brands, and in my opinion, as long as it has descent action, it will catch fish. Also, I would reccommend rigging it in other fashions than wacky rigging, often times a texas rig, minus the weight is a great way to fish them. I'm not saying there isn't a time and place to wacky rig, but its certainly not all the time. Texas rigging or using jig head seems to be a more cost effective way to fish them, when they rip, just bite it off and go for another round. If I had to buy them, there is no way I would throw a Yamamoto senko unless I was in a tourney, they are horribly overpriced. They do have great action and great scent, but are certainly the shortest lived of all that I have tried. If you are wacky rigging, an o-ring is a must. If you want the most durable senko style bait, try a strike king zero, they are made of a crazy 3x material that doesn't get destroyed, but of course a fish can still throw if off. Good luck!

I'm with SledNeck. I love real senkos, but man do they tear. A lil drop of super glue does make it last longer with T-riggin' - gander had some on sale in one of those bins and there was a pack of 4" in smoke for 2.99 or something. That was the only pack. I looked through the entire bin as most were the swim senko which I could care less about.

I still need to get some o rings.

Yes I have knock offs too. Yum dingers ain't too shabby.

I will not buy the Yamamoto senkos as they are to tear prone. I bought about 75.00 worth of Mr. Twister Comidas two summers ago and still have a hand full of packs left. I have also picked up some YUM dingers and think that they are just fine as well. The Comidas work very similar to the senko but last longer and are made with Exude (lure gets slimy when wet and gives off sent)so in my opinion I'd rather throw the comida. I will try that srink wrap thing though. Just got done teaching summer school so I'm heading to hardware store now to pick up some wrap and some sup. glue. Thanks Dietz once again!

Fever