Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foulpole18

ticking sound on my 01 2500 chevy silverado

10 posts in this topic

I have a ticking sound that seems to be coming from the passenger front side. It seems to be doing it only when accelerating. It doesnt seem to do it when I put it in neutral and press the gas. Any ideas.

Thanks

brian

Is there something wrapped around your half shaft to the passenger side?

Does it sound maybe like an exhaust manifold leaking possibly or is it a definite metallic type tick?

Its hard to say. I kinda think it sound metallic but I'm not sure. If its the exhaust manifold what kind of cash will that cost to fix?

I'm almost positive there is a gasket between the manifold and exhaust pipe if there is that could be the culprit.

Does it make any difference if the engine is hot or cold?

If you read in your owners manual for the truck it states in there to expect a ticking noise from the chevys. I have the same problem. wasn't there when i bought the truck but once the miles started to be put on it started doing it. It is possible for it to be an exhaust leak from where the two meet. that would be a simple fix and the exhaust donout(gasket) is only a couple bucks.

start it up spray soapy water from a spray bottle on the donut to see if it blows back at you.

No it doesnt seem to matter if the engine is hot or cold. I will try some of the suggestions when I get a chance and post my results.

I had a ticking that I was sure was a leak in the exhaust manifold, but it turned out the AC belt was bad. I had just replaced it less than 6 months prior, so it was the last thing I checked because I assumed it was good. My clue was that the tensioner was bouncing really bad when it was running. It wasn't until I was underneath that I could see the "tread" missing from the AC belt that was causing the bouncing/noise. Good luck!

Is it a 5.3 or 6.0? If it is a 6.0 its not all that uncommon to have exhaust manifold bolts break off. (where they attach to the head) A visual inspection can tell you quick if thats the problem. Also, don't overlook a loose spark plug if they have been out either. I've never run into a loose factory installed one, but who knows?