• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ticking sound on my 01 2500 chevy silverado

I have a ticking sound that seems to be coming from the passenger front side. It seems to be doing it only when accelerating. It doesnt seem to do it when I put it in neutral and press the gas. Any ideas.

Thanks

brian

If you read in your owners manual for the truck it states in there to expect a ticking noise from the chevys. I have the same problem. wasn't there when i bought the truck but once the miles started to be put on it started doing it. It is possible for it to be an exhaust leak from where the two meet. that would be a simple fix and the exhaust donout(gasket) is only a couple bucks.

I had a ticking that I was sure was a leak in the exhaust manifold, but it turned out the AC belt was bad. I had just replaced it less than 6 months prior, so it was the last thing I checked because I assumed it was good. My clue was that the tensioner was bouncing really bad when it was running. It wasn't until I was underneath that I could see the "tread" missing from the AC belt that was causing the bouncing/noise. Good luck!

Is it a 5.3 or 6.0? If it is a 6.0 its not all that uncommon to have exhaust manifold bolts break off. (where they attach to the head) A visual inspection can tell you quick if thats the problem. Also, don't overlook a loose spark plug if they have been out either. I've never run into a loose factory installed one, but who knows?