• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Twins trade rumors

IFallsRon

We all know the recent history of the Twins is to watch other teams get better at the July trade deadline. I haven't been paying much attention to the rumors (aside from getting Latroy from Houston) but Sid has this one:

There have been rumors that the Twins have been talking to Pittsburgh about a trade for former National League batting champion Freddy Sanchez, who is hitting .316; and/or relief pitchers Matt Capps (1-4 with a 4.71 ERA) or John Grabow (3-0, 3.49 ERA).

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would the Twins wait with a ballpark that the players and fans have not gotten use to?? the Team is still built around smallball, thou not as much as years past. Compared to other teams hitting HR's,, yes the Twins are better,,, but we still have guys in the lineup like Span,Punto,Gomez etc.

The dome is half the reason this team has the record they do,, look at the road record.

I wish they would pull the string on a big time pitcher sooner than later. NAthan, one of the best, is getting old. CLosers are hard to come by. I'd like to see him get further in the playoffs.

sounds like Sanchez won't be coming our way. Casilla got called back up so have to think they will be giving him the opportunity to be our 2nd baseman. Hopefully he can play like he was towards end of last season.

other than starting pitching, which I'd rather not get rid of, I don't think our team really has much else that they could deal in a trade that has much trade value if the team is in "buying" mode. Either they have too fat of a contract or they aren't performing well and we'd get little in exchange.

think it's about time to really push hard to get mauer re-signed and let the season play out with who they currently have. I'd love to see them pick up a bigger name for the last half but don't see that coming and realistically, I think they need more than one more big name to come our way for them to realistically have a chance to do anything more than contend for division title (if nobody else in the division gets hot. I have my doubts that this team has the mental toughness to go very far in the playoffs if they were fortunate enough to win the division.

Funny about the quote from Sid, on 7/5 sunday sports it was a caller who called in that "rumor" and Sid knew nothing about him other than saying he won a batting title a few years back.

The good thing is the divison is so medicore that outside of Cleveland any team is in the hunt. Need a bat with pop in it to help out, but other than the Shannon Stewart deal, we aren't known as takers at the deadline

I don't see any trades in the near future for the Twins. Seems when there are a few options out there, the Twins want a ton for their trades and are not willing to pay anything for another player. We will never get into any good trades with thinking like that.

As much as I would like Sanchez, it isn't going to happen. I think you throw Casilla in there and leave him be. Let him get all the errors out of his system and figure it out. We can't survive with Harris in the 2 hole and if Casilla can hit around .300, I'll live with his inept defense. We NEED another reliever, so I'll settle for either one of those guys... my dream scenario is that they figure out something in the rotation, then I vote for putting Liriano in the bullpen and let him throw as hard as he wants.

I think they will in the near future though...Mauer and Morneau will start to demand they bring in better talent or else they can forget about retaining these guys long term.

I'm with you on that one Zepman- I don't remember if it was Souhan's Mauer Expose this morning or an article from earlier this week, but Mauer made some kind of indication that way.

For Mauer to stay with the Twins it is likely that he will need to be willing to Kirby it and take less money than he could get elsewhere. Perhaps he will be willing to accept less and stay in MN on the condition they spend a certain amount to pick someone up- would raise his rep from local star to local legend in my eyes.

I think they will in the near future though...Mauer and Morneau will start to demand they bring in better talent or else they can forget about retaining these guys long term.

read Jim Souhan's latest article. Morneau has already said Mauer only cares about winning and if Bill Smith doesn't do something, Joe won't sign. In saying this, Morneau also implies that the same goes for him down the road (even though he was just extended)

The Tigers are at least trying to win the division. Thats where the Twins always lose out.

Yes, the big two won't say forever as they will not have much chance at all for a ring.

They will leave in time and then what have we got? Maybe a .500 team at best.

The experts on ESPN were discussing who would win each division, and they said the Sox. They brought up the point that their GM is pretty much the only one that is willing to go out and sign or trade for someone that could win it for them. Hate to agree, but, I too see the Twins sitting on their thumbs yet another season. I love the Twins, always have, but for the 87 and 91 championship teams, they made moves both times, lately they haven't been, and I am getting frustrated

one of the beat writers for star tribune said on his weekly twins chat today that he doesn't expect the team to do much as far as picking up any significant players goes. I believe he mentioned they still are looking for a right handed reliever but that was about all he expected. somebody asked him about getting mauer signed and he mentioned that if it didn't happen the stadium next year would resemble a scene from the will smith I am legend movie, which I thought was pretty humorous, although the humor would be gone pretty quickly if they don't sign him.

on the positive side, we thankfully aren't in either of the other AL divisions where we'd be basically out of it already so the second half of the season still counts and even at .500 we have a chance at a division title. the AL wild card will go to one of the other divisions by the looks of it so central title is only way to playoffs.

I think a few of the really bad trades we have had the last couple of years makes them hesitant to do anything. It's not that the trades were really bad at the time of the trade, it's because of what the players have done after they leave the Twins. I just think we are really unlucky or stupid, one of the two.

Well, let's hope they're a little more professional in the front office than to get "scared" from making a deal based on the outcomes of others. A short memory must be pretty high on the list of job requirements of a GM in professional sports...at least let's hope so in our case.