• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gas in oil

unotrouble2

Hi all, Back in 2004 I purchased a new 600 sportsman -- it currently has 322 miles on it (most were put on the first year or two) i purchased the wheeler to haul me out on the ice during the time its not safe for a truck -- average 5 times a year -- it doesn't get used at all during the summer --- i top off the tank (stabil in the gas) and let it sit in the garage for the summer.

Recently i changed the oil and there was a strong gas smell in the used oil as well as it was thinner than usual.

Any idea on what may be the problem?

Thanks

UH-OH!! HUGE PROBLEMS! You better sell your Sportsman to me CHEAP! LOL! Just kidding.

I don't think it's serious problem.

When you park your Sportsman, do you turn the gas vavle to the "off" postion (or closed)? If not, make sure you do that each time you park it.

Also, it sounds like your carb my need some attention. If you are mechanically inclined, take the carb off and clean it good and check out the condition of the float, jets, seals, etc.

I would not run the engine until you fix the problem and change the oil and filter.

Hope this helps...

I had the similar situation with my SP500. I was pretty good about turning the gas off (good point Thorski). I checked the oil while doing a change and even the new oil (Polaris brand) kind of smells like there was gas in it.

I use my Grizzly in the same manner...primarily ice fishing, and believe that it's condensation in the oil due to the engine not getting fully warmed up. I always let it idle to warm up, drive out to a spot, and shut it down...same thing when I head back to the landing but the trips are typically short in distance. Even though they are fairly short trips the engine is warm and sometimes the fan even kicks on, but apparently it's not run at that temp for long enough to rid the moisture.

I don't think that it's getting hot enough and condensation begins to build up with the short trips and cold weather. The oil got changed immediately and to test the theory I took it out one afternoon and put on 15 miles just driving around a lake. Checked the oil a few days later and it looked brand new with no signs of water.

Now this isn't to say that gas isn't getting into your oil, but I'd change it as suggested and then try putting some miles on it the next time you get out and check again.

I agree with LEP7MM. The oil does have kind of a "gassy" smell to it. I use the Polaris brand of oil too.

LMITOUT makes a good point. When you run your 4 wheeler, make sure to run it long enough to get the oil good and hot. This helps get the impurities out of the oil (moisture, etc.).

unotrouble2-Have you noticed if the oil level in the engine seems to be getting higher on the dipstick? Just out of curiousity, do you have to use the choke to get it started each time? If you do, then I suspect your carburator my not be the problem.

I have a sp800 and 330 trailboss. when i am done using them, while they are running, i turn off the gas valves and let them run out of fuel. This way i know that there i no fuel left in the carb to varnish up. have been doing this for nearly 5 yrs with no carb issues or fuel in oil problems.

Thanks for all your reply's --- I haven't noticed the oil level rising on my dip stick, and ever since i purchased the wheeler i've had to use the choke -- although when it's warmer out - such as when i change the oil during the summer months i've noticed i don't have to keep the choke on all that long to keep it running, but during the winter months i have to leave it on a minute or so while it's warming up.

I'm thinking it doesn't get to warm up all that much -- i would guess the most i drive it would be a mile out to the fishing spot and a mile back and not much in between. It really doesn't get used all that much -- The wife calls it "garage candy", i call it "paid for" smile

Again thanks for all the response.