• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you're dangling a line you're fishing

DTro

That was a favorite saying of my late Grandfather whenever I would question our daily fishing location, bait, time of year, or whatever.

Words of wisdom as we come into this time of year when people start to think that the fish have turned off due to spawn or water temp. Yes, the old standby spots may leave you hanging, but it’s a good time to explore and try new things.

Last night WWG pulled up to a spot that I have gone by 1000 times and never thought about fishing it quite the way we did. I said, “hmm never did this before”. The best part is John said, “Neither had I until last night.” laugh

The reward?

2 30lb fish for him in as many nights as well as a few bonus fiddlers for the boat.

Thinking outside the box isn’t just lip service, it really works.

Are you talking about straight dropping, and holding the bait just off the bottom, while the rod is in the hold?

If so there are a couple spots on P2 this is the only option when fishing them. Good spots but that weight or bait hits the bottom and instant snag. Never had much luck with big fish but have gotten some small flats and channels while doing.

Congrates guys for "thinking outside the box" grin

Last night WWG pulled up to a spot that I have gone by 1000 times and never thought about fishing it quite the way we did. I said, “hmm never did this before”. The best part is John said, “Neither had I until last night.” laugh

The reward?

2 30lb fish for him in as many nights as well as a few bonus fiddlers for the boat.

Thinking outside the box isn’t just lip service, it really works.

So what exactly was the "I've never done this before" trick? You have hooked me right in the corner of the mouth and I just have to know. I hate it when I only get the joke without the punch line. Come on, spill the beans. I won't tell anybody - I promise.

Sorry, I probably mislead that we were actually doing something different. It was mostly the way we positioned the boat and never thinking to ever fish that particular spot and the way we fished it.

Nothing special, except for maybe that his fish were “rattling” as they came over the side of the boat wink

Darn, I was hoping you discovered the magic bullet. I'm starting to get desperate here - been a while since I put a flat in the boat. I guess the only solution is to fish until I drop. Back at it again tonight - maybe I need to try some new spots too.

Thanks Darren. I love to toy around with locations when the fishing's slow. My thought was just to fish some areas that have not had any pressure this year. There are areas that we drive past so many times that we forget there can be fish there.

yea it great to do that Ive done this twice this year and the pay off was one of my kotc cats 44.5x29.The spot that is typically fished had people there and I told the guy that was with me that those fish that they are waiting for have to be coming from some where so with a little searching found a snag down stream of them with a nice little hole under it and within 10 min POW fish on.

Now more than ever with the pressure on the river you need to find those so called over looked spots.

congrats to WWG on the nice kittys

just a quick question for you guys lol (and just to state up front I am not trying to be a smart a$$ here I am genuinely curious) how can it be that 3 of you are 2007 king of the cats champion ......and 2 of you are the 2008 king of the cats champion ............

There are 10 total champions at the end of the year.

5 for Flatheads

5 for Channels

It's not as easy as it might seem though.

Thats an understatement!

If I had to calculate the hours, and 3 hour sleep nights I have in right now, just to claim a shared spot of 12th place, to get nothing but recognition of being champ, I dont think many would believe me. crazyshocked

There are 10 total champions at the end of the year.

5 for Flatheads

5 for Channels

It's not as easy as it might seem though.

yea I know what you mean Scott lots of lost sleep and not to mention the miles I'm racking up on the truck and now that I think of it thats almost 4 hours of lost fishing time .

GOD I LOVE CATFISHING dont think it would ever be to far to go for a big kitty or even a small one