• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Side Imaging Question

gunflint

Question

18 answers to this question

It depends if there is weeds or not. In thick weeds all you will see is the weeds. In sparse weeds it works pretty well. If no weeds it works great. In 2-3 fow I can see tracks going in different directions that are troughs from people buzzing by with the lower unit close to bottom digging up silt. Of course you can see rocks, logs, and fish in shallows too if not obscured by weeds.

Gunflint,

I posted some side image pictures on the Lake of the Woods forum under the Buffalo Bay thread, I'll post a couple here.

I was meaning to asks some of the SI guru's on the forum to see what I can do to tweak my pictures, I only have a few hours on the unit but it is great!

When I come out of the harbor, we are in about 6 feet of water or so and it scans out to the shoreline to either side with no problem at all, you can see all kinds of stuff.

The pic here is on a sandbard, the darker blue is the 10 foot water and to the left, where the black line is, that is a drop off to water that is around 16 - 18 foot deep, that is the lighter blue coloring.

S00018.png

S00020.png

Mike

SI cannot see thru things, but if it gets a clear view, the images can be outstanding, no matter the depth.

6.5 feet with fish

S00083.PNG

7.6 feet with a school of walleyes on each side of the boat.

S00014.jpg

12 feet, looking at 3 dredge passes

S00097.PNG

2.9 feet and clear as a bell still.

S00086.PNG

Like Deitz, I wouldnt give up my 997 for anything else on the market right now!

Bumps, well, kind of. The actual fish are the white cigar shaped things. 9 to the left side, by the 31.9 temp, and two up towards the top up by the word right, and two others on the right side across from the date and the speed. Possibly several more clear over on the right, mid screen also.

When looking at fish in Si, or most other things for that matter it is easier to read the shadows than the actual fish.

Note the shape of the shadow directly across from the date. You can tell without a doubt that that fish is a walleye.

The distance between the shadow and the actual fish will also give you an indication of how suspended the fish are.

Here is some deeper fish, that are suspended. This shot also has conventional 2D sonar also.

DREDGE%20HOLE.jpg

Heres 3 vehicles at the bottom of Lake Sharpe:

S00059.jpg

If you want to look at more of my images online, follow the properties in the images, since they dont want you to post links.

Maybe it's just me but I really don't understand (if possible) why they didn't make the screen view basically 180 degrees different. What I mean is that if I understand the view correctly, extreme right and left of the screen is straight down and when you come to the center of the screen that's out whatever distance left/right. Why would the center of the screen be straight down and the out left/right accordingly? I'm sure if I had one and used it, it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Just a FYI, in case some didnt know. The blue boat shaped object at the top center of the picture is the/your boat. Left and right distance is 68 feet in the last picture. The water column is 20 feet deep, so you are only actually seeing 48 feet left and right of the actualcenterline of the transducer/ boat. The dark blue area directly behind the boat is the water column turned on its side. It is displayed 20 feet on the left and 20 feet on the right, but its the same 20 feet.

Think of the left and right sides as your wake, its a left and right thing. Only difference, is that the SI is immediatly 68 feet left and right of the boat, while your wake gets progressivly wider.

From the top to the bottom of the screen, depends on a couple factors, Boat speed, screen scroll speed etc.

Lets say that the 997 does not have the capabilities to drop a waypoint on top of the cars and I wanted to just throw a marker bouy out on top of them in the position they are shown in the picture.

The water column is 20 feet deep. we are viewing 48 feet of bottom both ways. The cars are slightly past half way on the bottom to the right, lets say, 30 feet to the right of the boat,

Knowing how far back they are based on watching them come off the top of the screen (when they first appeared at the top of the screen is current, everything below the boat is logged history). I make an educated guess and heave the marker bouy 30 feet right and 50 feet back of the boat, and it lands on top of the cars.

Of course, the Birds are capable of dragging a box over the target and putting a waypoint down on top of an object, even if the boat doesnt go over the top of it.

Yes, its lots easier to comprehend when you watching it happen onboard, particularly, if you are going over known pieces of structure, or objects.

i have a question. i installed one and i am pretty confident in the installation. i definitely do not have pictures this clear. any hints? is the angle of the ducer a factor? should i tilt it more down? i see the bottom but it's fuzzy. could it be motor interference? i talked to some people and they actually mounted it on the jackplate so i am assuming you can't get to close to the motor if people are mounting there.

I find that tilting the ducer down a bit produces a noticeably crisper image on my boat. The mount is kinda odd and moves a bit, I need to tighten it down every few weeks to keep at the correct angle when going at high speed.

You need a clear view to both sides from the entire diving board for it to work properly. smile I believe they suggest something like 10" of clearance, I have about 4" with no issues at all.

i have a question. i installed one and i am pretty confident in the installation. i definitely do not have pictures this clear. any hints? is the angle of the ducer a factor? should i tilt it more down? i see the bottom but it's fuzzy. could it be motor interference? i talked to some people and they actually mounted it on the jackplate so i am assuming you can't get to close to the motor if people are mounting there.

If you are transom mounted, then tipping it further downward will increase the rooster tail when at high speed.

Mine is in a plane with the bottom of the boat, not tipped up, nor down. I used a 3' straight edge on the bottom of my boat and set it to that, elevation wise.

Thats is the starting point.

The transducers do move slightly up and down in the bracket, when out of the water, but when moving thru the water, there will be enough pressure on the platform to stabilize it.

There are many, many combinations to try when getting the perfect setup. Whats good for me, may not be for you. To begin with, what unit do you have? Mine is a 997. My SI transducer is 455kz, my 2d sonar transducer is 83/200.

Post a screen capture of what it is showing you, so we can see and try to help. Anything else is just throwing darts at the unit.

R

i have the 798cs, i am not sure about the tranducer. i had a matrix humminbird on there before so i am using both tranducers with a switch in the dash to alternate. the si tranducer i have higher up to prevent turbulance. so when i am at higher speeds i switch to the other ducer. i will try to tilt it down as stated before and i will try to post pics of my side imaging pics.

Ah, I was mistaken again with how the picture is viewed. Now it makes a lot of sense.

With that. Anyone running their unit along with another unit and are you having any troubles with interference (transducer's not liking each other)?

Anyone running their unit along with another unit and are you having any troubles with interference (transducer's not liking each other)?

The side-imaging tranducers operate on vastly different frequencies than down-viewing transducers, so interference should not be an issue.

WW,

As often as I have heard from people that want to turn the screen 90 degrees, I figured there had to be some kind of missing link. I hope my post wasnt too elementary to begin with, but you just dont know everyones experience level with these new products. I think the fact that the boat is at the top, shown in the center, is often assumed to be known, but not always the case.

SI transducers shouldnt crosstalk with 2d transducers, but multiple 2d may give different units some fits.

I have a LCX 15, LMS520, a Humminbird 788 and a Humminbird 997 available to be on the boat at any one time.

Typically, I have the 520 up front and the X15 and the 997 on the dash.

The 520 and the 997 dont seem to have a problem, because of the distance between the tranducers. The X15 and the 997 in 2D , do give me some issues. What typically happens, is that I use the 997 for SI and 2D sonar, and the X15 for GPS. I turn the 2D sonar off on the X15, because I dont need it with a GPS applicaton only. This is done by going to the sonar menu on the X15 and checking the "Stop Chart" box. This shuts the pinging off on the X15, and no more crosstalk between them.