• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Truck Tire?

Dahitman44

Question

Need new tires -- Want something a little more agressive - -was thinking about the BFG KO All Terrain --

any thoughts?

Will be changing out my 35" (315/70/17) BFG's AT KO's in the next few months on my Dodge 2500 4x4 Diesel. I currently have 80k on them if that says anything.....granted they are fairly worn now and there is very little tread left. They are not cheap however!

I will be replacing them with the same

I can say don't get the Bridgstone Duelers, I had them on my Tundra and they are not good in the snow.

I have Michelan cross terrains on my 4 runner now, it looks like they're going to last about 60-70k. When they go I am going to get the BFG ATs.

I'll agree with the Muskie... shy away from the Duelers. I've had 2 sets (1/2 ton and 3/4 ton) and they were not very good on snow and ice. I had the BFG A/T's on a 3/4 ton and they lasted a long time but were not great on ice but still better than the Duelers were.

I don't think a guy can go wrong with BFG, Toyo, or Goodyear as long as you get the tires at the top of thier list. Even a cheaper name brand can be a poor tire. I have BFG rugged trails on my super duty now (came with them) but I'll be upgrading to a more top of the line tire as soon as these are worn out.

If you search the equipment forum, you'll find my response to this topic over and over and over again.

I decided I wanted to be 'cool' years ago, so I put BFG All-Terrains on my Ford Ranger 4x4 ext cab. Traded the truck off with 80,000 miles plus on those tires.

Bought a GMC Sierra with some kind of Firestones on it. Lets just say I was hard braking and putting my foot into the accelerator as often as I could and then had a reason to put new tires on the truck. Went with All-Terrains again. Finally had to replace those tires after 100,000 miles. You read that right, I've got the paperwork to back it up.

I'm now into my next set of All-Terrains, getting close to 2 years on them now.

In that entire time, I've had 2 flats. One was the responsibility of a nail and the other was my fault while on Upper Red Lake in the winter.

I don't think there is a better multi-purpuse truck tire out there.

Funny thing about the Duelers, 2-3 years ago I was reading a lot of praise about them. Not quite the same response in this topic.

I heard they dont make my size in the "KOs" -- 275-65-18?

If I change size a little is that bad?

A little bit... No.

I have 285s on my Sierra, never reprogrammed the computer either. Bigger hurts your mileage and your pulling power, I've experienced that for many years. Mine are 285 75 R16s. 285 is way oversize on the diameter/circumference for my truck but I like them.

My factory rims are 16s, yours are 18s, that may be causing the problem as an 18" rim is pretty big for a truck. Nice looking but big IMO.

I heard they dont make my size in the "KOs" -- 275-65-18?

If I change size a little is that bad?

LT285/65R18/E - Listed on the BF HSOforum. All-Terrain KO's.

Great tire. They'll give you a little road noise due to their aggressive tread but it's not bad at all.

My next set of tires for my GMC will be BF AT's. They never come as original equipment but they are always my choice as the second set. I usually get 60-70k off a set. Make sure you shop around. I have found a $150/set difference across the SW metro area dealers. I have found the best prices at the big whole sale clubs.

311 hemi --

those tires are 10-ply right? I thin k they are like 350 a tire or something like that.

They worth it?

The tires I have are basically off a Hummer (I purchased take-offs at the dealer). They are a D rated tires which I believe is an 8-ply tire. I don't do much heavy hauling with the truck so this works out fine for me.

I just did a quote on Discount tire web site and these tires are about $260/each ($1200 installed). That was a bit of a surprise as the last time I got a quote it was like $1600 installed.

They are definitely worth it to me. I get the traction I want in a long lasting tire.

As far as calibrating the speedo, if you change up/down one size it wont make a big difference and I probably would not do it. My truck originally had 245's on it when I bought it and I had them swap the 315's on it off my old truckI was trading in. That was a huge difference in tire size and I definitely wanted to get the speedo recalibrate properly.

My next set of tires for my GMC will be BF AT's. They never come as original equipment but they are always my choice as the second set. I usually get 60-70k off a set. Make sure you shop around. I have found a $150/set difference across the SW metro area dealers. I have found the best prices at the big whole sale clubs.

Sams or something else?

Bridgestones have been really good to me, I have had mine on my truck for 40,000 and they are in really good shape, I have the APT. I have only seen them on a couple other trucks. I also had a 99 ram with the regulat AT's and they didnt work that well.

My brother just put on a set of dueler HL's on his jeep and they hum a lil bit and seems to work good in the sticky stuff...

I have beeen really happy with the bridgestones and prolly wont change

I just got some Daytons about 8 months ago and have been very impressed with them for the $.

I also got some Daytons back in October (LT 265-70-17 in a C range), and I've been very happy with them thus far. I have 13K on them and they're wearing nicely 13/32nds tread left.

I have goodyear workhorse extra grips on my dakota the past few years and they have been great. think the current ones have 50,000 and still alot of tread left.

was thinking of trying the duelers next go around, but after reading this will stay away from them.

If you don't care about "brand name" look at some Wild Country XTX's. I have them on my k1500 and like them a lot. They look like a Kelly, sort of. Agressive but not mudders. work great in ND cornfield mud... wink Not even sure how many miles I have, but they still look new, and they have a cool squared shoulder look, not the "bulge at bottom" look - but I run them at 55 pounds with load D.

Significantly cheaper than name brands. Otherwise Kumhos and Toyos AT tires have been good, but the prices on those have gone up with their popularity - I used to get them years ago when nobody heard of them.

I just put some Dueler HT's on a Trailblazer p245/65/17. I wanted road tire on that truck, but would not put them on my fishing/hunting vehicle. I paid $540 total, including tax/balance/disposal/$10 per tire insurance, all that carp, just for price comparison sakes.

i've had 2 sets of toyo open country a/t and both sold with the trucks with 50,000 miles plus. No problems with either set. With that said right now on my silverado im running goodyear wrangler rt/s becasue I got them for $98 a tire. money was tight at the time or i would have went toyo. They are doing well at 13,000 miles havent noticed any wear problems.

I put goodyear assurance tripletread tires on my 07 impala ltz, the ones with the "v" look to them. man can they throw water, wet traction is amazing, dry traction is good, and no road noise plus they look awesome with the v tread pattern and have about 30,000 miles on them and rotating them religously they havent shown wear at all yet. these were $149/tire.

goodyear is creeping up on my list (knock on wood)

I ran the Silent Armours from Goodyear on my 3/4 ton Duramax for 55,000. 10 ply. Nice tire, look great, wear fine, tough, but more than I cared to pay for again. I went with 10 ply Wrangler RTS this time because they are on incredible sale right now because Goodyear is discontinuing the RTS line. All new 10 ply Goodyear Wrangler RTS for a 3/4 ton Diesel and under $600. I will take that deal ANY DAY!!