• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gear ratio ?

dan z

Question

I have recently purchesed a C4 and the gear ratio is 6.3-1 if I put a power handle will it make it faster (weak) or slower (stronger) I was throwing small muskie baits and it was a work out. my cardiff is 5.2-1 and I can throw everything in my box with it. any input is appreciated.

thanks DZ

1 answer to this question

The power handle isn't going to change the gear ratio. It is just going to give you more leverage to turn the handle so it feels easier. The handle will still need to be turned the same pace as before.

I was in the same boat when I bought my first C4. I put on the power handle and I also ended up taking it off and using the reel for lighter weight lures. The power handle was almost too big. Sure it made cranking "easier" but it was not comfortable for me. Instead of a nice wrist cranking motion you almost needed to use your arm as well because the circumference of circle formed by the new handle was too large for just wrist actions.

I ended up getting another reel with a 5:1 ratio and I just switched them up depending on the bait I was throwing until I got a second rod.

The handle is pretty cheap though, so you may want to try it and see if you like it better than I did.

Good luck.