• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how hard has the economy hit you for fishing?

mrpike1973

hello all well a short time back someone stole my rods and tackle box at a landing well with this economy and short on cash i cant believe how hard it is to recoupe my losses i have 5 raps wow $30 bucks goes fast how is everyone else dealing with it buying less, no tackle purchases, staying closer to home just wondering

This year has had more fishing for me than any other year ever.

But I also don't buy a ton of equipment, I don't lose expensive lures very often.

I also have a job now, which helps a ton, better than being a poor college student. I have experienced financial GAIN in the past year.

[fixed typos]

This year has had more fishing for me than any other year ever.

But I also don't buy a tone of equipment, I don't lose expensive lures very often.

I also have a job now, which helps a ton, better than being a poor college student. I have experienced financial GAIN in the past year.

What he said

hasnt changed a bit If we wanna go we go If we need something we go get it. just booked another trip up north so things havent changed! I try to buy things on sale or bulk to get a better deal. always tryin to split costs helps too...

I have a little tinny with a small outboard so I dont use much gas getting to or on the lake.

I have for sure cut down on my impulse buying this year. I had plans for a bigger outboard and a few rods but I made do with just one rod/reel and am going to run the 6HP one more season.

I do check out the discount bins and watch for sales all the time though. you can usually grab last years plastics or raps for a nice price.

Fishing is my life, therefore, no fishing=no life, not an option, so I eat less, which saves gas and money 4 gas 4 the jeep-skie and boat, drive less, unless I'm trailoring to a lake, and fish more and do less of everything else besides tournament fish so it somewhat supports itself smile

Still fishing as much, just not buying any more lures. It's actually been nice to get back to the basics and use stuff I haven't touched in a while. I've noticed several local outdoor stores have lots of clearance bins and also seems that they are not replenishing lures when they sell out on the peg hooks. Electric trolling motors are cheaper to refill than the 150 Optimax as well smile

I'm fishing as much as before but I have cut back in several ways to save dough. I'm doing less motor trolling, (cheaper to charge a battery than fill a gas tank) I'm using less live bait and more plastics and other than fishing line I haven't replaced any old equipment or bought anything new this year. It all adds up.

Been lucky I'm busy as can be, 50 hours a week with no end in sight. Went to longer hours a year ago to catch up and haven't dropped back yet. I haven't changed anything in fact my toy room is getting more crowded than ever.

I guess I'm in a different boat than most here, so to speak. I don't feel the work picture is solid enough for me to pull the trigger on a $60,000 boat so I guess it's affected me in that I didn't get a new boat this year. On the bright side I've already been to LOW, URL, Mille Lacs, Leech and am leaving for Bemidji tomorrow morning!

Its hit me hard man... was planning to buy a 621 Ranger 250 E-Tec but common sense got the best of me this year. Well... not really but any realistic thought of that is on hold. frown

I hate to say it but if you don't think the economy has hurt your fishing, you are living in a vacuum or are in for a rude awakening. Some guys are still doing well and I tip my hat to ya!

But I'm an architect and the latest stats I've heard are that 1/2 the architects in the Twin Cities metro area are now out of work. Do you think I'm stressed? Duh! I Thank God everyday that I made choices years ago about the company that I know work for but I can't live my life pretending nothing has changed in the world. If I do, I'm the next guy who'll be filing bankruptcy and getting foreclosed on.

All I can say is be preventative, don't live day to day, yes it can happen to you, and put yourself in a position to ride it out. Most folks don't live this way, thats why we have this problem.

Believe me... you can and will cut your disrectionary hobbies if you have to.

The economy isn't driving my fishing trips. My two girls softball and dance schedules seem to be a bigger influence. I still have made all my "scheduled" trips to Vermilion, the BWCA and Mille Lacs. My trips to our lake home in Western WI have suffered some from the scheduling conflicts. Most activities seem to die in mid July so I should be Ok fo the rest of the summer....

Plus bow season is about two months out!