• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blue/Silver Pike

dakor

I caught this Pike while Musky Fishing on Lake Winnie last weekend. I first thought I had a little Muskie on when it came by the boat as it was so silver and blue in the water. I was Fishing with retired guide that day and he had never seen anything like it either. The picture does a ok job of showing the color but if you look look at the tail section that is how the whole fish looked not in the sun. The only reason I kept it is because the fish in hailed my bucktail and was dead within a few minutes after putting it in the live well. I am guessing the fish was crossed with a Musky and never became a Tiger Musky for some reason. I should have mounted the fish but it was small and I can always get a replica made if I decide to. Here is the Pic.

[img:center]Blue_Pike.jpg

From the DNR northern pike site:

"An uncommon variant called the silver pike is dark silver or greenish gray, rather like the "clear" coloration of the muskie; yet it is a northern pike and has the northern pike's scale and pore pattern."

Hiya -

Blue pike are pretty neat. I ice fish a lake with a lot of them in it - catch one almost every time out. They can occur anywhere, but there are a handful of lakes around the Park Rapids/Nevis area where they pop up quite frequently. The biggest recorded in MN, at least officially, was an 18 pounder from Snowbank Lake.

I have a couple friends who are hardcore pike chasers - they go all over the world - and one of them caught a 25 pound blue pike in Canada a couple years back. Photo looks like a clear muskie at first glance, until you look closer. Pretty awesome fish.

Rob Kimm