• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new sunny rod

WyattEarp

Looking for some ideas from the FM site. I am looking to get a new rod for sunny fishing. I historically like using the shorter rods, 5'6 or 6 but am not tied to that. I use a 7' for walleye and like that. No real need for me to have a 7' to be able to cast farther, but that is a plus of the longer rods. I have fished with the more expensive rods but am not looking to spend a ton of money for this rod - under $50 or around there for just the rod. What are people using in this price range that they like? Thanks in advance for any posts!

Wyatt

Cabelas has some great rods for under $50 that would be awesome for sunnies. I would stick with UL or L power. For length, go with what you're comfortable with. I prefer rods in the 6-7' range.

6'6'for me in a ML. I also have a 6'6 in a light action but it seems I like the ML better.

At times I will pick up other larger fish and like to have a rod that will also handle the larger fish. Thats why I use the ML & light rods. I have a UL but it is a little to whippy for me with larger fish. I cannot control a fish with a very light rod as it just bends and doesn't play the fish.

i just picked up 2 okuma celilos (20 bucks each) and i LOVE em!

very sensitive. i can feel everything with em

rapala rods are very good too. i love the extreme ultralights, and the tournament series. very sensitive, very durable as well. i often hook into carp while panfishing, and if that happens to you too, cant go wrong with the rapala extreme ultralight;. i used my rapala extreme UL all spring for carp in the low to high teens and it held up like a dream!

Best panfish rod I've ever used is a $19.99 Creekside Crappie Pole (7'0") from Gander...the ones with the orange tips. It has a very, very sensitive tip much like that of a ice-fishing "noodle" but great backbone as well. You can literally see them sniffing on the bait with this thing. No need to spend lot's of money if you find something you really like. Check em out...hard to wrong for 20 bucks.

Best panfish rod I've ever used is a $19.99 Creekside Crappie Pole (7'0") from Gander...the ones with the orange tips. It has a very, very sensitive tip much like that of a ice-fishing "noodle" but great backbone as well. You can literally see them sniffing on the bait with this thing. No need to spend lot's of money if you find something you really like. Check em out...hard to wrong for 20 bucks.

slab seekers are also good. not REALLY sensitive, but they are ok. cant go wrong with the price of the slab seekers either, my 10'er often doubles as a fly rod. works like a charm for that too!

carmanjake,

Okuma celilos are okay, tips seem weak. One of the two I have broke in the 5.6 - 6 foot light models.

The cork handles are not true cork. They are foam with cork veneer. They are okay, just would not buy again, myself.

river-rat4

Originally Posted By: carpmanjake

carmanjake,

Okuma celilos are okay, tips seem weak. One of the two I have broke in the 5.6 - 6 foot light models.

The cork handles are not true cork. They are foam with cork veneer. They are okay, just would not buy again, myself.

river-rat4

ya they are great for the price. they are not true cork, but if you pair the rod with flourocarbon, you feel every little thing (same with if you were to use superlines or braids) i was pulling up perch like this all day the other day

that is 10", the perches nose is just a bit over the 0 mark

101_1000.jpg

101_0996.jpg

as well as this gorgeous rocky

101_0993.jpg

101_0995.jpg

they are nowhere near the most durable, but if you have your drag set fairly loose so you dont put that much stress on the rod, you will be just fine

the first one i had broke on a big bass in june. but i broke it down until they fit really snug, now i have a 3 foot ice fishing rod! woot! lol

One should not have to loosen the drag so the rod doesn't break.

no they shouldn't. mine broke cuz i was horsing it a bit. usually i only use 2 or 4lb test, but i was fishing in bullrushes so i upgraded to 6. and that was probably a factor.

i always keepp my drag pretty loose; helps prevent slab crappies from ripping their lips.

How about a fly rod for pitchin poppers?

any rod will do fine. i wouldnt go any larger than a 4 wt. takes all the fun out of the fight any stiffer than that.

i have been using a caddis creek rod for 3 years, and if you could see it... man it looks like [PoorWordUsage]. lol. i have litterally beat the [PoorWordUsage] out of it. lol

I got a 7'0'' UL St. Croix Premium my little sister bought me for a B-Day gift with a Tica reel... That is one fun set up

Craigums - is your sister single? I think I knew plenty of guys who would love a girl with a heart like that. Thanks for all of the info from everyone. I will be heading out to the shops next week to snag up a new rod.

celilos are great for tossing smaller jigs. this 9" bluegill was on a 1/82 oz jig that i tied myself. a little clump of white fox for the tail. dubbed with white fox dubbing. and 2 orange rubber legs tied so the spread out to make 4 legs. then cover all the tread with more dubbing and tie off. on of my favorites for sunnies that want a SLOW presentation. works great for retrieving it across beds cuz it sinks slowly and you can keep it in the vinicinity of a bed for a long time

101_0932.jpg