• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

E-Tec owner reviews

koonie

Just wondering what kind of experience you've had with your E-tec motors.

I've got a guy trying to sell me a 2006 E-Tec for $3,600. Not a lot of hours on it and no errors or problems show up when its put on the computer. It doesn't have tilt/trim. It would cost another $591 to put on a kit. Does this seem like a reasonable deal?

If anyone else, that has a different motor, wants to chime in, feel free. I'm trying to get as much info as I can about this motor and other motors before I make a decision.

Thanks for any input!

Just wondering what kind of experience you've had with your E-tec motors.

I've got a guy trying to sell me a 2006 E-Tec for $3,600. Not a lot of hours on it and no errors or problems show up when its put on the computer. It doesn't have tilt/trim. It would cost another $591 to put on a kit. Does this seem like a reasonable deal?

If anyone else, that has a different motor, wants to chime in, feel free. I'm trying to get as much info as I can about this motor and other motors before I make a decision.

Thanks for any input!

What HP is it?

might be alittle high though i paid about 7-7500 for a new 06

but it was a 60 and had tilt and trim not way out of line

haggle with him over the trim

not sure what you puttin it on but e-tecs have lots of power

i have a 150 now i can run with 200 yamaha s on an equal sized boat and blow em away out of the hole

Use the search feature and look in the Boats/Motors forum. There was a guy that was having some issues that BRP was trying to solve for him. Might be a good insight to the customer service/warranty procedures that you may have to deal with at some point in time.

UPDATE: Here is the link

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1883661/E_TEC_FRIED#Post1883661

I was at Gander today to get some outboard oil and couldn't help it notice that the Evinrude HD-100 oil for the E-Tecs is 60 bucks a gallon! Are you kidding me! That right there is enough to keep me from owning one.

How much is Yamalube 4 stroke oil from a dealer? I seem to remember paying $5/qt or more, which was $25 for a single season plus a $10 or 15 oil filter. This will fly for the couple of years, but them I'm switching to standard oil filters and Mobile1. Anyway, I wouldn't let the price of 2 stroke oil dissuade you.

Etecs are really cool. I was very close to getting one. That said, mid $3k range sounds high for a 40 w/o tilt trim. I would try and negotiate.

How much is Yamalube 4 stroke oil from a dealer? I seem to remember paying $5/qt or more, which was $25 for a single season plus a $10 or 15 oil filter. This will fly for the couple of years, but them I'm switching to standard oil filters and Mobile1. Anyway, I wouldn't let the price of 2 stroke oil dissuade you.

Etecs are really cool. I was very close to getting one. That said, mid $3k range sounds high for a 40 w/o tilt trim. I would try and negotiate.

Why not Amsoil?

Use the search feature and look in the Boats/Motors forum. There was a guy that was having some issues that BRP was trying to solve for him. Might be a good insight to the customer service/warranty procedures that you may have to deal with at some point in time.

UPDATE: Here is the link

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1883661/E_TEC_FRIED#Post1883661

That was my original post. I've been on the water for well over a month and motor is running great. I really like it and would buy another e-tec.

On 7/3/09, I bought a new 50 hp Yamaha two stroke for my pontoon. Purchase price was just over $5,000.00 - that includes a $375.00 install and a $300.00 rebate. I looked at the E Tec and it was over $6,000 w/o install or tax. And, the $60/gallon oil was a substantial difference from what I pay for the Yamaha (or any other) oil. The difference of around $1700.00 buys a lot of gas over the life of the motor. And, so far, the Yamaha has been getting good mileage. I know you're looking at a motor for your fishing boat but paying the extra $$ for a new motor + a two year warranty, makes sense. I hate buying used. You may be purchasing trouble without any warranty.

ya not sure where you are buying the 60 $$ oil but you are gettin took by about 18-20$ gallon i pay 44 tax included plus like some one said i dont use much of it

e tec s sound great idlein sound and are full of power takin off

i was on winnie last sat big winds and back trollin with mine and its 150 its a gooooooood motor