• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jig and pig line?

RK

Hiya -

Quick survey. What are you guys using for Jig and Pig line these days? Not talking flipping, but more deep weedline stuff?

I've been using 12# fluoro after switching from the 12 or 14# mono I've used before, but I've busted a couple fish off the last few weekends, either on the hookset (for some reason I hammer the hooks pretty hard with a Jig and Pig - a holdover habit from stretchy mono maybe) or a couple fish that got their heads down in the coontail. Thinking of maybe going to heavier fluoro. I'm kind of wishy-washy on braid for this. May even go back to mono. But thought I'd ask here for some opinions before I respooled.

So, whatcha using, and why?

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

20 lb Big Game mono most of the time, or braid if I'm fishing more in the weeds than on the weed line itself. I think we give largemouth way too much credit when it comes to being line shy. I think rate of fall and lure action are more important than line visibility when considering line choices.

I use Heavy Power pro for my main line (30-50lb) then I tie a back to back Uni knot with a 3-4 foot peice of 20 lb Flouro. I agree that the typical Bass is probably less line shy than we think but Alot of fishing is confidence and the flouro is simply less visable which increases confidence. I've never broke off on a hook set with the P.P. knot and Flouro. I've even bent some hooks on the hookset a few times. I've also found that with a good rod that the power pro and Flouro leader gives great sensitivity which helps in avoiding too deep hook sets. Most are hooked up in roof of their mouth.

Hmmm... 6 replies, and I have: 17 copoly, 20 fluoro, 20 mono, 30 braid - no leader, 50 braid - fluoro leader, and 12 mono. Nothing like consensus, eh wink

I think what I may do is jump up a little to 15 or 17 fluoro and see how that works. I love the way fluoro handles, but I think 12 is a little too light. Like I said, old habit from the stretchy mono days, but I *really* unload on the hookset with a jig and pig for some reason, and it's a hard habit to break apparently. Got away with it with 14# XT, but I've snapped 12 fluoro a couple times already this season. I have rods rigged with 20 Fluoro so I may try that too, but I'm jigging in 15-17 feet so the drop speed may slow down a little more than I can stand with 20# diameter line.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Ive been using 15# Flouro or 14# Mono depending what rod Im using, Many guys in my bass club use 30# braid with no leader and they outfish me with a Jig almost everytime so I would agree that bass probably arent all that line shy especially in the weeds

Same as Fever, 30lb PP with 17lb flouro for a leader. One thing I have learned is to retie the uni to uni knot a little more often. It only survives so many hooksets and passes through the rod guides.

Now you have consensus, Rob!

Ray -

Well, I have a plurality anyhow.

It is always interesting to me though to see how many different ways there are to skin the same metaphorical cat though. One night a couple winters ago a friend of mine and I (and a bottle of Oban single malt) had a howling argument in my basement over which rods I had should be used for what. We sat there and mixed and matched rods, reels and spools of line for a couple hours. We fish the same waters with the same techniques - for the most part - but had totally different ideas on what was good for what. Fun discussion. Wicked hangover frown

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Heck RK, invite both Ray and I up, we will car pool and skin this cat.

I throw a lot of jigs, drives Ray a little crazy at times... I have 4 jig rods, 17 copoly, 20 floro, 20 floro, 65 braid.

But it all comes down to this.. what feels best to you?

Dietz, whats the reasoning for having 2 jig rods spooled with the same 20lb flouro? Differant action rods I imagine? or just to have differant jigs tied on at the same time?

just curious

-craig

20lb P-line, I can't get myself to switch to braid for weedline fishin', I have never had problems with the 20lb P-line. I do definately agree with fish not being as line shy as we think, I have straight braid on about 3/4 of my rods now.