• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnkota Trolling Motor won't turn left

WyoChris

Could it be one of the cables inside the unit? Most have two cables running from the pedal up to the head --- guessing one of those slipped out of it's holder? Other possibility is a cable snapped. It's easy to find out, just take the head cover off and see if both cables are attached -- if they are, gently pull on both and see if one gives -- you'll know immediately if it's not attached.

I'm guessing here, but I'd guess you have a power drive, or a non cable driven trolling motor, right?

I agree with Bass N Spear here, sounds like a foot pedal. Do you know anyone who has a similar foot pedal? I'd swap them and see what that tells you.

One other option is to take your Foot Pedal to Fish Electronics in Minneapolis - they're pretty helpful there.

marine_man

Also make sure you have enough water in the battery, and it/they are charged. I have seen this on 24v systems where one or both batts are low on water, or one batt is bad.

Good luck!

I have one that does that too with a remote. Might be a bad connection at the plug. I just unplug it , that flat plug right by the motor base, then plug it in and then it works. For a while.

I have one that does that too when using a remote control. There might be a poor connection in that flat plug by the motor base. I unplug mine and then plug it in again and it works. For a while.

I had the same issue once, all I had to do was take the foot pedal apart and clean the dirt from the contacts inside. I just used a couple QTips and some 409 cleaner, then it worked like new. (Maybe someone else has a better way?) This could be the issue or you have a bad foot pedal and they are around $80. For your sake I just hope it's dirty. Good luck

Yes, it is a powerdrive.

I just tried it with my wireless remote control and it still has the same problem, so that rules out a bad foot pedal.

My trolling motor batteries are fully charged and have enough water.

Well i'm gonna take off the screws and open her up

Ok, here is the update. After ruling out the bad foot pedal, I was out on the lake and put it on "autopilot" and it turned left using that. But it still won't turn left with the foot pedal or Co-pilot remote.

After doing some research online and calling the Minnkota service line, I concluded the main circuit board must be bad (apparently the autopilot uses a a different circuit board). So, I bought a new circuit board at the nearest minnkota dealer, replaced it, and..... it didn't fix it. It still won't turn left and i am back to square one.

I can't think of what else to try, and I can't stop fishing for more than a few days so leaving it at the shop for a week or two isn't an option. Any more ideas?

Thanks. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Isn't this what I mentioned in my earlier post (Crawler's idea)? Tho, I will admit, I might've used incorrect verbage/terminology when trying to help out....

Let us know what you find! Good luck...

I stand corrected smile

Only reason I thought of it was I just had the same issue -- thought it was a cable that came off, so when I pulled the head off, turns out the cable did, but a piece of the plastic housing was broken off --

Took it down to Motor Clinic in Bloomington -- they replaced the board with a used one he had sitting around -- in and out in a couple of days.

When this happened to me I cleaned the foot pedal first since this solved some previous issues. This time it didn't fix it. Then I cleaned the flat plug and found some corrosion on one the pins. It fixed it and worked fine ever since.